10. A Human Thing To Do

Obito got out of the shower before Y/N. She stood longer, feeling the heat of the water and its patter across her back.

She had a feeling she just made things very complicated between her and Obito. And, she desperately needed to talk to Kakashi. And, she needed to assassinate Danzo. Her mind raced until she felt her fingertips starting to prune from the water.

She dried off and walked into her room to see Obito laying on her bed – his ankles crossed and his arm supporting his head. He had his eyes closed while her eyes trailed down his chest, to the boxers that hugged his hips snuggly. Seeing him like this lit a fire inside of her all over again. She didn't want him to stick around and rope her in, like Kakashi did, only to leave her. But, hell, one more night wouldn't hurt. Right?

The two fell asleep together and he was gone when she woke up. There was a note lying next to Kakashi's phone number.

Sorry, late for work. I'll text you later.

Lying in bed alone, for the first time in a long time, felt lonely.

~~~

It was Saturday and Kakashi had the day off. He had agreed to meet Y/N at her apartment.

She found herself straightening the apartment more than usual. In a year, she had never willingly had guests over. Kakashi and Obito were the only ones who had seen the place, and she didn't have much of a choice in their visits.

With Kakashi's knock on the door, she straightened the pillow on the couch and waited a bit before walking to the door.

"Hello Kakashi."

He had brought a small bouquet of flowers, "Hi Y/N."

"Flowers?"

"We need to talk," he said.

"I know about Tenzo. I found out last night."

Kakashi was silent. He had a strange, almost pained look, at the fact that Y/N found out from someone other than himself.

"Why didn't you tell me before? I had to find out... in the worst way possible," she said, her voice beginning to crack.

"I'm so sorry. Y/N, the last time we spoke, I was so angry when I left. I..."

"Please don't say you forgot to tell me. Don't dishonor him like that."

Kakashi didn't speak for a moment, "I was angry. I am angry."

"That makes two of us then. Come. And, bring the flowers."

~~~

They arrived at the Konoha Cemetery. Y/N quickly scanned the directory and pulled Kakashi in the direction of Tenzo's grave.

They approached a plain stone with Tenzo's name and Konoha's leaf symbol. That was it. No words of admiration. No prayers. Not even a thank you for his time in the military. Y/N was well aware he was related to the Senju brothers, she wasn't sure how, but she was certain that they didn't care about him. They left him to rot in the ground without even a nod to his honor. This realization led to a more serious one – why in the hell was she working for them? If she had discovered Tenzo's grave before that meeting, she never would have gone. The deep resentment she held already, grew so much more.

Y/N looked up at Kakashi, tears streaming down her face.

Kakashi laid the flowers on the stone and looked up to see Y/N stomping towards the cemetery office. He followed behind her.

~~~

They left the office an hour later. Tenzo's stone would be engraved and completed in less than a week.

"I'll give you half," Kakashi said.

"No," Y/N didn't want his money. She would gladly have paid double to give Tenzo a proper memorial.

"Okay. Fine. Let me at least buy you lunch."

Y/N's stomach growled loudly. She hadn't realized how long she had gone without food, "Okay, deal."

Kakashi led her to a nearby restaurant with private and curtained booths. They sat across from each other and didn't speak for some time. They both were thinking of when they first met each other, Tenzo, and Sai.

Y/N didn't know how long she had been at the Root's compound. She had been placed in a room, hands bound and mouth gagged, and forced to watch a video. The video was all about the suppression of emotions. And, after learning about the benefits of emotional suppression, she sat through hours of footage showing soldiers being killed over the slightest smirk or watery eyes. Incessant killing. One message – no emotion. Uniformed men entered the room, picking Y/N up off the floor. When she woke, she was in a muddy pit, training was like the video but physically immersive. One message – kill the enemy. Every day went like this, repetitive training, each day focusing on a rule of the Root. Don't question the orders. Leave no witnesses. Each one of them had to go through this exact training. Training ceased and they received their first orders. They would act as a team to infiltrate various enemy territories. They simply took in each other's stoic faces. No words were exchanged. They didn't speak to each other, outside of what was necessary, for a full month. And then, they got stranded, briefly; yet, completely disconnected from superiors.

Y/N was the first to speak, "I have to pee."

Tenzo was the first to laugh.

"What's so funny about peeing?" Sai asked.

"The first words we hear in months... is about pee?"

"It's a human thing to do!"

Kakashi spoke up next, his tone gravely serious, "We aren't human anymore, remember?"

"I'll stop being human when I no longer have the bodily functions of one."

"Y/N, I'm sorry, for everything."

"Accepted. I just want you back in my life."

"You'll need to stop your current... occupation... if we're going to continue things any further."

Y/N felt her heart break. She looked down at her hands, "Then I'm afraid this conversation is a day too late."

"What do you mean?"

"I got into something. A... project. It's all planned out. It will take me a year. And no, I can't get out of it."

"A year, huh?"

Y/N just nodded her head.

"You're sure you can't get out? Or are you just saying this?"

"Kakashi, trust me. I would if I could."

"I don't believe you."

Y/N looked around. She wasn't familiar with this restaurant. She knew she shouldn't speak here, "Kakashi, not here. Let's just eat. I'll tell you more at home."

He understood this, but was not pleased with it. Every second he was in her presence he worried someone would find out. The royal Hyuga family was consistently doing background checks on the members of the guard. Not only was the individual checked; but, the people that the guards surrounded themselves with her also checked. Being with Y/N was – in a sense – forbidden.

Don't forget to vote and comment!