15. Somewhere Safe 🍋

"So this is it then?"

Y/N remained quiet. She had said goodbye to Tenzo. To Kakashi. She wasn't sure she wanted to see Sai ever again. And, Jiraiya was a closed door. She didn't want to close the door to Obito. That would leave her truly alone.

"Answer me, Y/N. Tell me this is the end and I'll stop bothering you."

She looked to the bed. It's fuchsia, red, and brown floral print spread was faded and stained. It looked like the time she vomited up a cola and cherry slushie her dad had bought for her when she was seven. The headboard was worn and scratched up. The wall behind the headboard was dented and the paint was chipped. She wanted nothing more than to curl up and sleep. She kept her gaze on the vomit-colored bedspread.

Obito stood and closed the space between them. She didn't move as he stepped closer. He ran his fingers along her jawline.

"You can't end it," he said as he ran his fingers over her hairline now, "You need me, the way I need you."

Her eyes followed a trail up his forearm, to his tensed bicep, and stopped at the soft spot of his muscular neck where his skin was covered by his straight black hair. Y/N looked up to meet his eyes. His hand was now softly on the nape of her neck.

"I meant it when I told you I love you."

She was the one who lied to Kakashi. There would be no reunion in a year. He had chosen his job over her. It was Obito who didn't give a shit about the consequences.

"Will you still love me after the gala?"

"What?"

"I have to do..."

"I already know. Yes, I'll still fucking love you. You're forgetting I've read your entire file."

"I'm... a monster."

"You could sever my head from my body right here and now. I'm fully aware of what you're capable of. But, you aren't a monster."

"And you still love me?"

"And I still love you."

He let her come to him this time. She stood on her tippy-toes and wrapped her arms around Obito's neck. Breathing him in, he smelled of olivewood and bergamot.

But, she couldn't just ignore the consequences. She wasn't so bold to assume that Madara would leave her alone because his nephew asked him too. No, it ran deeper. Madara would make sure she took his words seriously. Hell, he might even make her disappear. Operation Eris be damned.

Obito deepened their kiss, drawing her out of her thoughts.

"Wait, Obito. Not here."

"Why not?" he asked looking around. His sight landed on a cockroach crawling over the off-white linoleum that covered the bathroom floor, "You're right."

"Where can we go?"

"I know a place."

~~~

Obito pulled up to the gates of a luxurious apartment in the city center. He punched in the code that opened the gate and drove into the underground parking garage. Rows of luxury and sports cars filled the spaces. Once upon a time Y/N would have been dazzled by the sight before her. Now, this type of luxury was just as regular as the sun and the moon. She laughed to herself thinking of her "friends" and her own apartment. She preferred living well below her means but after the discovery of all those camera's... well she just might need to make some adjustments.

Obito opened her door and led her inside the building. To even open the heavy metal doors, a code was required. The elevator needed a fingerprint.

"Where the hell are we going?"