She Knows

"What did you think the Patrols were for?!"

"I thought they were like some weird time outs!"

Going to school the next day felt strange to Jared

Going to school the next day felt strange to Jared. He fingered the letter in his pocket one more time keeping an eye out for one of the pack members. He hoped someone had come to school today.

He saw Paul first and ran up to him grabbing him by the backpack and effectively pulling him away from his groupies.

"What the hell man?" Paul snarled as Jared pulled him into the bathroom. Jared checked the stalls and seeing the bathroom effectively empty he locked the door. "What are you doin-"

"Read this." Jared slammed the letter into Paul's chest. Paul scowled but seeing the seriousness in Jared's face caused him to stop and read the letter his own eyes slowly widening.

"Shit." Paul exhaled, "An imprint? That's real too?"

"We turn into wolves and your surprised that the soulmate connection is real?" Jared deadpanned and Paul ran a hand through his hair. "Yeah, Sam wrote the letter and now it looks like I'm supposed to be in charge. Ya know, second in command after all." Jared explained lifting his chin.

"Yeah... kinda got that from the letter... why do you look like you're holding in a fart?"

"Because what I'm trying to say is I'm not sure I wanna be in charge." He whispered his eyes going to the floor and his hands wringing the other.

"Then I guess it's time for third in command to step up." Paul's eyes lit up as he brushed off his shoulder grinning at the other boy. Jared's shoulders sagged in relief.

"Thank goodness. Just the idea of the scheduling made me exhausted."

Paul's eyes widened. "Scheduling?"

Jared lifted an eyebrow. "Yeah? Ya know? For our patrols? Sam always divides it up evenly for all of us, and he knows when it's safe for us to take a day off."

"Oh... that will be easy." Paul's wide smile grew smaller.

"Okay, and thanks by the way for taking over the patrols for me since I did actually get to make it onto the Soccer team!"

"What?"

"Yeah? Sam always covers the extra shifts, he and the elders agree that we should try to keep the appearance of normalcy as much as possible. That means not getting rid of our human joys.
Why else did you think you were still able to do boys night?"

Paul's face grimaced at the remembrance of boys night. It had been hard to hang out with his usual crowd, he had suddenly felt as though he didn't belong in the group of friends he had since a child.

"Well why even worry about patrols? I think we all deserve the week off." Paul shrugs causing Jared's eyes to widen. "Not good?"

"Uh duh? Do you know why we do patrols?"