The Breakup

"So did you ever manage to get the ball back?"

"Yeah. But the dog kept my other shoe."

"How

"How... how long has she been like that?" Paul leaned over asking Jared as he stared at Azazel through the glass window.

"Ever since she found out the girl she thought she killed in an accident is actually alive." Jared answered pressing his lips together.

"I'm sorry what?" Paul's eyes widened in shock and Jared slapped his forehead.

"Right! You've never been on patrol with her yet... Yeah. She's not from this world and she's actually 22." Jared explained causing Paul's eyes to bulge out even more from their sockets.

Jared realized that perhaps this was something he should have eased Paul into more than how he had. Although Paul was handling the information a lot bette than he expected. It probably had to deal with the fact that literally shapeshifter so is a person from another world really that insane to believe? "That- there is so much to unpack, but let's just answer my first question?" Came out Paul's strangles question, "Who's the girl?"

"Well in the last world there was this girl Lunette and Az blames herself for her death since she was driving." Jared explains somberly. "I don't know if they were friends or more but every time we patrol with Az, we get to see her face."

Paul sat down, the weight of that information knocking out his air. "Damn... no wonder why you guys have never let me patrol with her."

"That and other things." Jared scratched the back of his head making Paul lift an eyebrow.

"Jared come on. If she only hit twenty in her past life ,shit can't believe I just said that, how much worse could it get?"

And so Jared grabbed two cans of Coke and sat down next to Paul, preparing the newest member of the pack for the things they might see when sharing a shift with Azazel.

"And whatever you do Paul, do not let Azazel know that I told you this."

~~~~~~~

When Sam came home again , he found Azazel in the same spot he left her.

Her eyes are sunken in, an obvious lack of sleep and it looks like she hasn't been eating, which is insane. It's been two days and that level of malnutrition doesn't appear in two days. It appears in weeks. There's a blanket thrown haphazardly across her shoulders, when Sam tried to keep her warm that first night when she refused to go indoors.

"Hey... how are ya?"

No response.

"Azazel?" He tried again stepping in front of her, only to not be seen. No, those emerald eyes were elsewhere. A universe away and if this continues she'd wither into the next. He'd sat by her, spoke with her... nothing seemed to rouse her from her state.