Carnival

"Told you I could get it for you."

"Wow. Look at that. You can break a plate. Just like you broke my cousins heart."

Emily lifted her head glancing past the customer at the counter to look at Sam who held a book in one hand and a spoonful of Clam Chowder in another

When he had first arrived on her doorstep she thought he was a burglar and threw her leftover Chinese food at him. Then after picking the noodles out of his hair she decided to ask why her cousins ex-boyfriend made the trip all the way down to see her.

She thought at the time that he had come to his senses and was going to beg her to help him win Leah back.

She had her response planned. She was going to rip into him but after developing the kicked puppy look she'd oh so graciously agree to help him win her cousin back.

So when he got the last of the noodles out of her hair she crossed her arms and asked in as snarky a tone as she could

"Why are you here?"

She didn't know how to respond when he said

"You. I'm here for you."

Instead of shutting the door in her face she opened it wider and stepped back so he could enter her apartment. Then she rationalized it by saying that any normal person would offer shelter to a person covered in sweet and sour sauce but now she recognizes how foolish it is.

The entire time he was there she told herself that she was giving him a chance to realize he loved Leah. Told herself that he was just there to cling to a lifeline to his old relationship that he wasn't over yet. Told herself that Leah would be glad in the end that she's guiding Sam back to her cousins embrace.

But seeing him there...

Innocently eating and reading like he couldn't be bothered to do anything else other than just stay in the same proximity as her.

And remembering how last night she almost leaned forward to close the distance when he was just taking care of her hand when she accidentally cut it with a knife while cooking.

No she was not going to lie to herself anymore.

Pretending that everything she was doing was for Leah's benefit and not her own.

She was falling for Samuel Uley. 

Or had fallen already.