Chapter 20: Mornings in the Underground

I felt the sun begin to warm my skin and nuzzled further into Logan’s chest as his arms wrapped around me and held me close. It has been a month since war was declared but yet here we were, sleeping in a big comfy bed with nothing even planned for the day a head. I struggled at first to come to terms with the prospect of a coming war, I didn’t want people to die for me and I would rather give myself over to Peter and play the dutiful wife if it meant that I got to save the lives of those I love. Marco had assured me that this war was a long time coming, that I was simply the “match to the leaking petrol tank”.

Logan and I had gotten closer since that day, we spent the better part of the day together and after the cold nights had me shivering I soon found myself in his bed each and every night, enjoying the comfort and warmth I felt just by being next to him. Logan groaned a little as he began to rouse. He moved me over to the side as he started to sit up in the bed, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes and stretching out his muscles like he does every other morning.

“You awake?” He questioned in the husky tone that he has when he first wakes.

“Mhm” I mumbled as I pulled the pillow closer to me and hugged it like it was a teddy.

“Use your Words Britney.” He chuckled as he leaned down and kissed my bare shoulder blade that was poking out of the blanket.

“Mhm.” I said again, this time with a smile.

Logan moved the blanket until he pulled me closer to him and flipped me over until I was on my back while he hovered just over me. “You don’t play fare.” I giggled as he started to place kisses along my jaw and down along my neck.

“Rise and shine you two!” Marco yelled as he banged open the door making Logan and I spring apart under the covers and a blush take hold of my cheeks. I quickly gripped the covers and pulled them up over my body for no reason at all really, I was wearing track pants and a two sizes to big t-shirt with another layer underneath so it’s not like he could see anything.

Marco did this often. I think partly because he was enjoying the company of his brother and… well… whatever I was to him, and partly because he knows we both hated it. Marco grinned at the both of us as he made his way through the room and sat down on the edge of the bed, watching his brother with an amused smile as he climbed out of bed and made his way over to the bathroom – muttering all the while.

“Marco!” I scolded him as I gave him my best, you’re in trouble glare and pout.

“Naw, your too cute when you’re mad little Brit.” He spoke to me like I was a three year old as he leaned in and tried to ruffle my hair.

“Stop it!” I pulled back but it was too late. I looked like I had a family of birds nesting in my hair.

Logan came out of the bathroom dressed in fresh clothes and his hair slightly dripping wet – no doubt form when he shoved his head in the sink to wake himself up, another habit of his that I found entertaining. Still muttering about how annoying Marco was I watched as Logan waked out, held my gaze for only a moment before turning a death defying glare on his big brother. Marco’s smile only widened. Walking over to Marco Logan grabbed his brother by the scruff of his shirt and began pulling him out of the room while Marco waved me goodbye as he stumbled being half dragged.

I didn’t really know how I got here and even when I spend time to reflect on the last two months of my life I can’t help the shudder of sadness that washes over me. I often wonder about Danni back home, wondered what my parents were doing and if they have noticed me missing by now – I was almost sure of it – but I didn’t really know how to deal with it. I felt happy being here with Logan but I felt like there was this dark cloud looming above me ready to rain down and drench me in the flood.