Chapter 15: The Crossing of Fingers.

My mouth was hanging open and panic went through me like a volt of electricity, shocking my bones, speeding my heart – making the blood drain from my face and my hands shake. I felt numb. My mouth hung open as I leaned all of my weight on the pillar, my arms hugging the cool marble like it was a life line.

With my shaky legs I managed to turn my attention back to the scene before me. They had beaten Logan to the point of non-recognition, his bruised cheekbones, his black eye and blood dripping down off his face made my heart contract and I had to fight the urge not to go out there now and throw my arms around him.

Logan straightened his back and tilted his head up high to face Peter as he sat in his throne with a look of pure hatred and disgust. I tightened my grip on the pillars and leaned in waiting for the silence to give me some answers.

“Your brother has escaped.” Peter said as he narrowed his eyes at Logan and stood up from his throne, taking a few steps until he was right in front of him. “Where were at the time of his escape?” The king asked, his tone was deathly cold and sent a shiver over me.

Logan stayed silent.

I gasped silently and felt my legs all but give way from under me. They think he did it, they think he helped Marco escape. Of course he would be the number one suspect because he is his brother but Logan was with me, he hasn’t done anything wrong – but do I step out now and say something? They’d know I was ease dropping but Logan have an alibi, he wouldn’t get into any trouble and they could focus of something else – someone else. I looked between the two men as they death stared each other, the looks of pure hatred and distrust passing between them and making everyone else shuffle back a little uncomfortable.

I had an uneasy feeling, maybe I shouldn’t. Maybe I should wait until I’ve talked to Logan, he will tell me what to do.

“You don’t have an alibi?” the king asked crocking his head slightly to the side. “How unfortunate.” He smiled and took a couple steps back, mounting his throne once again and sitting down.

“Due to the lack of alibi and the confounding evidence and involvement tying you Logan Bellator to the wanted fugitive Marco Bellator you are sentenced to death by beheading. The sentence will be carried out in two days’ time.” He commanded his voice booming through the room.

No. I felt a strange pain in my chest, an ache almost as if I had been stabbed. My hands shook and I fell to the ground silently, my mouth hanging open and eyes beginning to water as I tried to process this and catch my breath.

This can’t be happening.

Logan’s face didn’t even flinch as he allowed the guards to grab hold of him and drag him up to his feet and off towards the door hidden in the wall that I now knew led to the dungeon.

I turned to Peter in complete astonishment. I didn’t know what was going on but for some reason I feel like I was missing half of the picture. Peter stood up and fixed his clothes, smoothing them over and walking away into the shadows with a wide smile spread across his face as if he had just won a race or accomplished something that he had always wanted – which didn’t make sense to me.

I waited, hiding behind the pillars until I saw the five guards walk out of the dungeon door and out of the main door, probably headed home for the night. I needed to see Logan no matter what the consequences, he was my captor but he was the only one I trusted and now after that kiss maybe it was more than trust I was feeling for him.

Looking around the room I saw no movement or signs that anyone was watching. I made a quick dash for the door and pulled open the heavy stone door and crept my way through into the dark dimly lit staircase. I made my way down the stairs being sure to take it slow and watch my step so that I didn’t trip over, fall down and break my neck. Getting to the bottom I reached up and grabbed a hold of the flickering flame off the wall and walked over down the hall of empty cells until I found the only one with someone in it.