Chapter 29: Just a Dream

Beep. Beep. Beep.

I frowned and scrunched up my face as the loud sounds of a steady ear piercing beep echoed through my ears. Slowly I opened one eye at a time and blinked a few times to let myself adjust, the lights were bright and the sun coming in through the window warmed my skin in a comforting way.

Slowly my senses started coming back to me. I wiggled my toes and twitched my leg, feeling the slight brush of clothes against my skin, tickling me. I felt as my chest slowly rose and fell and then I wiggled my fingers feeling a weird pressure on my forefinger. Opening my eyes fully I focussed on the uncomfortable pressure around my finger and narrowed my eyes at the little grey objected that was clamped around it.

Seeing some movement my eyes soon focussed on what was happening behind my finger. Danni was curled up on the arm chair, her mouth moving as she muttered in her sleep and her foot slowly moving towards the edge of the chair, about to fall and no doubt wake her up. I smiled as watched her thin frame jump up into the air as she woke up – just like I had predicted, after her leg fell off the chair. She looked around in a panic before finally realising she was fine and setting herself down into the chair one again.

It took her about two minutes before her tired eyes finally landed on me and then another minute of her trying to wake up before she noticed my eyes were in fact open and I was awake.

"Oh my god Britney! Your wake, thank god. I almost had a heart attack and my nerves couldn't take it any longer, I thought you were dead." She quickly blurted out in a head pounding blur of words as she pounced forward and snaked her arms around me and hugged me in a bone crushing grip.

"Ow, ow ow." I cringed at the pain shooting through my body.

"Oh shit, sorry. I forgot." She quickly pulled back, her eyes darting over me and checking me for injury. "How are you feeling?"

"Like I got hit by a truck and broke every bone in my body." I gave her a look. How else was I supposed to feel, I did at all fall to my death and then go for a midnight swim with my dead grandmother. Wait where was Logan? I looked around the room and saw that it looked like your classic hospital room and there was only Danni curled up on the arm chair with a few bunches of flowers and three cards on my bedside table. "Where's Logan?"

Danni scrunched up her face and frowned at me. "Who?"

I froze. "Logan." I pressed again. She had to know Logan he was no doubt the one who brought me here. He did survive right? I was sure that the crystal would work. It had to work.

"I'm sorry Britney, I don't know who that is." She said slowly and cautiously. "What do you remember?"

I swallowed hard and sniffed. "Uh, it's a little blurred" I lied. I remembered everything, Logan kidnapping me, Peter trying to make me his bride and then trying to control me, Marco, Kyle and Edward. The war, falling to my death, the lake, everything. I just wasn't sure what Danni knew.

"Well we said goodbye after closing up the shop two months ago, remember?" She asked me and I nodded in response. "You were attached and you fought back, the assailant broke a few bones and then he hit you with a car, you've been in coma for two months hun." She spoke the words slowly as if trying not to spook me.

"No. This can't be right." I shook my head not wanting to hear her lies. There was no way I dreamed all of that. It just wasn't possible.

"The doctor said that you can have very vivid dreams and that's why we should read to you and talk to you. I've never read so many books in my life." She chuckled. "Your mother is here most of the day, she is staying at your apartment but I told her I'd watch over you last night and..." Danni trailed off as she noticed my confused face.