Chapter 27: Fighting Ones Enemies

I looked around the room at all the bodies of friend and foe alike. This is the cost of war, to build peace, they had to tear the old one down. Marco slowly stood up from his position, crouching over one of the wounded Werewolves and looked back at me, he gave me a small nod of recognition before his eyes travelled to just behind my shoulder where they widened to the size of saucers and his lips parted, in an attempt to get more oxygen.

"Britney. Don't move." Marco whispered loud enough for me to just hear his words.

I froze, my heart rate picked up and I suddenly found it a lot harder to breathe.

"Logan." Marco called over to his brother to get his attention. Logan looked up from his task of cleaning up the blades on the floor and looked up at Marco who quickly gestured over towards me. Logan slowly and hesitantly made his way over towards me, my heart pounded with each careful step. By the time Logan arrived at my side he quickly put his hand on my back and moved me to stand just behind him, allowing me to finally look at what was going on behind me. It was Dustan. His veins were glowing through his entire body now and not just his eyes. His hair was standing up everywhere and his skin was the palest I have ever seen it.

By now the entire room had stopped to look at him, the werewolves already rolling their shoulder back, ready to pounce on him.

"Logan." I breathed as I clung on to the back of his shirt.

Logan spun around quickly and nodded towards Marco making me turn my head in that same direction. Marco put his hand on the hilt of his sword as he started forward, the werewolves began to make a small circle around Dustan who was still in daze but before I could even comprehend what was about to happen Logan swiftly picked me up and walked me into the small sitting room just off the main entry. Giving me a gentle push I feel into the room and hit my stomach on the back of one of the couches.

"You have to help him!" I screamed at Logan as I turned around and started to make my way out of the room but Logan quickly stopped me from going anywhere but further inside the room.

"Britney stop." He ordered in a threatening tone. "His lust for the werewolf blood made him leave his post and kill one of our own. He can't control it Britney."

"He said he was trying!" I begged, feeling my eyes swell with tears.

"He never had a chance." He told me honestly. "Britney the only vampires that can sustain that blood are the ones older than three-hundred and even then they struggle. Dustan isn't even one hundred yet."

"He's my friend."

"It doesn't matter Britney. He had he's chance."

I sniffed trying to hold in my tears. Feeling my emotions bubble up all at once I pushed Logan away and walked over towards the open balcony to get some air. Standing outside I put my hands on the railing and took a few deep breaths. I had never lost a friend before and the pain in my chest was hurting me more than I ever thought possible.

"Hello Britney." A familiar voice spoke just behind me making me jump slightly.

I knew that voice. Peter.

"Logan!" I quickly shouted as I turned around to face Pater who quickly stepped forward and reached out with his hand, holding me around the neck so tightly he was cutting off my air supply.

"Britney!" Logan yelled as he started running towards us but Peter only smiled sinisterly as he jumped into the air, his white wings spreading out as he dragged me up by my neck. My hands grabbed onto his as I tried to hold on and peer his hands off my neck all at the same time.