Chapter 28: The Tragedies of War

And so here I was, falling once again. The last few months of my life flashing before my eyes as the ground neared and my lungs let go of my last few breaths. The ground crept so close now, I could see the individual blades of grass as they were pushed back by the strong gust of wind that my falling figure was creating. My eyes started to shut as the lack of oxygen made my mind start to phase out.

The impact of hitting the ground was odd. The sting of the impact rushed through my bones and echoed in my head as my mind spun in dizzy spells. I rolled over, tears in my eyes because of the pain and my lungs gasping for air. How was I still alive?

I turned my head over to where I had landed and found Logan. His wings were spread out as he laid limp on his back. He had broken my fall.

"Logan!" I screamed – as best as I could – as I crawled my way to his side and looked down at him. His lips were slightly parted, his skin pale and cool, his body limp and unmoving but the image that stopped my heart was his eyes, crystal blue and wide open.

He wasn't blinking, he wasn't breathing, nothing.

I pulled Logan's head into my lap, where I cradled his head and let the tears fall from my eyes.

"Logan!" I cried so hard that I could feel my lungs struggling in the cold night air. Tears fell freely down my cheeks until they left my skin, only to land on Logan's cheek where they floated down his soft pale, lifeless skin and into the dirt below. "Logan please." My body shook with hard sobs as I hugged his lifeless body close to mine. "Please wake up."

The sounds of soft hums echoed through the blades of grass as the moon peeked in the sky and the flowers began to come alight in the midnight air, their colours burning brighter than ever before and the small pixies dancing on the flower petals completely oblivious of the tragedy that has just fallen around them.

I tore my tear stained eyes away from Logan and watched the light dancing around me, the lake lit up with the reflection of all the colours and the soft humming got louder and louder. I huffed trying to get the breath back into my lungs, sniffing, trying to dry my tears as I slowly lowered Logan's head down off my lap onto the soft grass. Slowly I brush my hand over his forehead before gently closing his eye lids making him look more peaceful. I leaned down and placed a final kiss on his soft cool lips, a part of me still clinging onto hope that I would feel the breath that wasn't there.

Swallowing the lump in my throat I stood up, shakily and made my way over towards the lake. I looked over towards the rippling waters and remembered the words Logan had once told me about the water; This Lake is called the mirror of souls. They say that if you fall in your are transported to the land of the dead. Logan didn't seem to believe in it, but there was something there, something different, something that I couldn't turn away from.

Slowly I stepped into the cold water, feeling the way the coolness seeped into my boots and dampened my pants. I watched the reflections of the bright lights as I took another step, and then another, all the way until I was able to push myself into the water, simply treading water before I started to float on my back. I looked up at the stars and heard the whispers, promises not kept, words not said, love not proclaimed. It was all here, floating with the dead in a never ending stream that although seemed beautiful and colourful on the surface, was nothing but a cold, wet hole of darkness.

It was peaceful for a moment, but that moment could never last.

A weight suddenly grabbed my waist and pulled me down into the deep dark water, my body barely managed to catch a breath as I was dragged down, further and further until I saw nothing but darkness... but then that darkness faded, slowly I watched it turn into something, something more.