Chapter 21:

Athena sat with her back against the large tree infront of the black lake,her back pressing against the rough bark while the wind blew her hair everywhere.

Her attention was focused on the sketchbook infront of her,every few seconds brushing a curl away from her eyes.

Her attention however was drawn away from the page by the clearing of a throat,causing her to look up with a squint as the sun hit her eyes.

"Hi,Minnie! What are you doing out here? Have classes ended?" Athena questioned with a small smile that faded away as soon as it came.

"I have a free period,I actually wanted to talk to you Athena,may I sit?" McGonagall questioned,her eyes soft as she stared down at the small girl infront of her.

"Oh,Um,sure" Athena said unsurely,pushing her art supplies out of the way.

"How have you been feeling,lately?" McGonagall questioned after a moment of silence.

"I-I've been okay" Athena answered,picking at the skin around her fingers. It was a bad habit she's had since she was eight. The skin was already red and irritated,her pointer finger and thumb covered in bandages.

McGonagall turned to face the girl,reaching a hand out to grab Athena's with a frown. "I don't know what's been going on but i'm worried,i've noticed a few concerning behavior from you. Your falling asleep in class,zoning out,not showing up to dinner or breakfast,avoiding those who care about you,and don't think I haven't notice you sneaking pass me in the halls at night or your hands"

Athena swallowed down the lump in her throat and blinked back her tears. "I-I just don't know what to do,Minnie" Athena whimpered,defeated. "I told them something that's always been a secret. Something I didn't want anyone knowing and even if they said it wouldn't change anything it's like their constantly holding their breath around me. I am not weak. I don't want to be seen as weak,especially not by them. If they think im weak then I must be,right? And if im weak then im useless and if im useless no one is going to want me anymore. I mean the Potters thought I was weak that's why they got rid of me in the first place. I don't want them to leave me. I dont want to be alone anymore. I-I c-can-"

McGonagall pulled the now sobbing girl into her arms,gently petting her unruly curls. "You are not weak,Athena. You got left by your parents and overcame that. You were only introduced to this world last year and you've taken it in stride. You stand up for those who can't,I know it's you who has been sending those kids to Poppy. You still smile even after everything you've been through. You are not weak and no one thinks you are. Their only worried about you and this is their way of caring. Your going to make great things happen,Athena"

"Thank you,Minnie. Who knew that under that tight bun and stern glare your actually as sweet as a sugar cube"

"I will still give you detention,Athena"

"Sorry,mom"

If McGonagall's heart warmed at the word even if it was muttered sarcastically no one had to know.

♡︎♥︎♡︎♥︎♡︎♥︎♡︎♥︎                  ♡︎♥︎♡︎♥︎♡︎♥︎♡︎♥︎♡︎♥︎

Athena's sharp eyes were locked onto a certain ginger headed girl. People always thought she was dumb or oblivious with her hyper personality and innocent looks which would be there down fall. She was actually really smart,getting top of her grade and perfect scores but that isn't what makes her dangerous. It's how her sharp eyes pick up any small movement,ears listening to the quietest whisper on the other side of the room,and any small change in a person.

She knew how to survive,she's had years of practice.

Which was why as she watched the younger girl leave through the double doors she stood up too,her eyes not once leaving the doors as she gives her friends a quick wave "I have to do something,ill see you later"

Once she was outside the great hall she slipped off her shoes,sliding her feet to make her steps silent as she peeked around the corner before making her way down the halls,skillfully blending in with the shadows as she avoided being spotted.

When the girl stopped and looked around before entering the girls bathroom she raised an eye brow before entering herself. It wasn't weird that the girl decided to go to the bathroom it was just that she decided to go into the one that no one else goes to because a young ghost haunts the place and people have said shes quite annoying.

Athena quickly ducked behind the sinks,watching with a confused head tilt as she watched Ginny Weasley throw a book through a ghostly figure. She wasn't close to the girl at all but she's noticed her weird behaviour,the sudden shyness,the way she avoided her older brothers,the way she always seemed pale,and how it seemed like the energy was being drained from her.

It started a few weeks ago after the first attack of the monster that everyone has been talking about. Athena didn't care about Ms.Norris the cat that has nearly gotten her caught multiple times but she did care about her fellow classmates and Colin Ceevy was a very sweet 1st year who often showed her his amazing photos,even taking a few of her and her loved ones that she has copies of hanging on her wall.

She pushed herself against the wall until the red head left. She carefully made her way out,slowly approaching the ghost that sat sobbing on the window sill.

"Hello,are you okay?" Athena questioned softly,a frown on her face. Even if it looked like Ginny was going through such a hard time it gave her no right to be so rude to the ghost.

"K-kids are so rude these days!" The ghost wailed as she floated down to Athena,stopping infront of her "Your not going to throw a book at me too are you?"

"oh no! Of course not!" Athena instantly reassured before she gave the ghost a sad look "I'm sorry about the kids being mean to you,no one should be bullied. Next time someone messes with you let me know and i'll deal with them."

"I'm moaning Myrtle" The ghost introduced herself,her tears for once stopping as she took in the girls honest words.

"I'm Athena,it was really nice to meet you Myrtle but I have to go" Athena said as she took off her robe and used it to pick up the leather book at her feet. She didn't know if it was cursed or what it could do so it was best to not touch or open it until she knew she would be safe while doing so.

"You'll come visit won't you?" Myrtle questioned,tears once again welling in her eyes as loneliness once again filled her body.

"Yes,i'll visit as soon as I can" Athena reassured with a small smile. "We can get to know each other and maybe have a sleep over"

"Bye!" Myrtle waved to the girl as she left with a bright smile,her clear body filling with a warmth she hadn't felt even before she died.

This was the start of another very chaotic friendship.