Chapter 31 - Primum non nocere

Oh my gosh she's still alive!

Yes, yes I am lol. I'll be wrapping this book up in the next few chapters...I may or may not be procrastinating from taking a grad school entrance exam, so you're welcome 😉 Also, feel free to listen to this song while you're reading this chapter....you might wanna be braced for some heartbreak foreshadowing.

Anyways,

Enjoy lovelies!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"y/n."

Golden light swept across your face...no, that couldn't be right. The tainted sunlight of New York City couldn't possibly reach into the bellows of the sewers. 

"Y/N." A firm hand shook you. "It's time to get up..."

You sighed as you sat up slowly, looking around your room. Your cursed reviver was nowhere to be seen.

It was cold.

Frozen.

The sunlight from your room flooded around your skin. For the first time in ages, you felt the warmth of crystal rays as they shined through the glass windows.

"When are you going to give up?"

"What..." You mumbled as you looked to the left, seeing your brother James sitting besides you.

James.

You stared in a shocked stupor.

He repeated himself, "When you are you going to give up?"

You regained composure as you answered his question, "I haven't. I found the retromuta-"

"That's not what I'm talking about." A cheeky grin flashed on his face. His gold-dusted curly hair was considerably longer than the last time you saw him. When he was...

A large bloodstain had slowly started to seep across his shirt.

"When are you going to give up and stop fighting?"

"I fight because believe in myself. I'm fully capable of helping other-" You protested. The room had  thankfully started to de-thaw.

"No you goofball." You rolled your eyes at the awful nickname. His grin returned.  "On your stubbornness. Your obstinate resistance against change. It's coming, and you can't fight it..."

"Yes I can," you blurted, "I can control my decisions, the changes that I allow in my life. I decide who will come and who will go."

James studied your face for a moment. His face held a soft smile, but his eyes looked weary. Like he had been holding on for something.  "When you die, your legacy is the only thing that will last. Your idea of controlling your life is a prison you have locked yourself in."

"I've had no control  for several years." The mutagen outbreak, being kidnapped by Shredder, Donnie...all these memories danced through your mind as you spoke.

Your brother's brow furrowed, "If you have had no control, then why are you still fighting for it? Stop holding yourself back from discomfort. Dad and I left you to finish what needs to be done. To allow people to be PEOPLE again. So that they can feel morning dew on their skin, the crispness of a winter morning in their lungs, the sweetness of a bitter heartbreak."

You glanced down at your hands. You knew why you hadn't immediately initiated a 100-fold batch of the retrogmutagen.

Soft, billowing curtains swept around in the wind as you kept quiet for a moment.