Chapter 11 - Coffee

"26...hydrocarbons..." You murmured, letting out a big yawn, "And *yawn*, 2 carbon dioxides." You stared at the paper before you, the writing on it focusing in and out. Black rings were beginning to form around your eyes from a lack of sleep, but you couldn't stop now, not when you were so close.

Donatello looked up from his microscope and chuckled, taking off his goggles, "I take it that you're getting a bit sleepy?"

"Eh," You pushed your glasses back up on your nose, "It IS 3 a.m., but I can't leave this experiment alone....it needs to be monitored for at least another 2 hours."

Donatello made an 'oh' with his mouth and glanced at the door, "How about some coffee? It might help."

You nodded eagerly, "That sounds amazing right now...Thank you."

He smiled in response and stood, "I'll be right back."

You mumbled an 'okay' and turned your attention back to the ongoing reaction before you.

The turtle made his way into the small kitchen and rummaged through the various appliances until he found what he needed. He pulled out two cups and hummed to himself as he began making the caffeine beverages.

"Why are you up so late?"

He jumped slightly and turned around to see Leo leaning against the corner, a tired look on his blue masked face.

"Just making coffee for (y/n) and I."

The leader smirked slightly, "Riiight...and why would you need caffeine at 3 a.m. in the morning?"

He shrugged as he poured water into the pot, "She's still running an experiment."

Leo raised an eyebrow, "And does she need your help to watch it?"

Donnie paused, holding the pitcher of water in his hand.

"Well, no. But I figured she could use the company." He finally said as he continued pouring.

"Mhm," Leo wiggled his nonexistent eyebrows playfully.

Donatello stared at him, completely confused, "Uh, Leo, you need to get back to bed. Your forehead is having a muscle spasm."

He groaned, "Donnie, don't you get it??"

"Get what?" He asked nonchalantly as he began to pour a cup full of coffee.

"You're falling for (y/n), aren't you?"

The mug shattered to the ground, leaving a stunned Donatello.

"What are you talking about, Leo??" He whispered harshly.

"Why else would you stay up with her, even if she didn't need your help? Why else would you bandage her burnt hand, even though you and I both know that you would just let the others deal with the pain? You're not thinking straight anymore, and you don't even realize it...You've fallen for her, hard, Donnie. So just admit it."

Donatello stooped down and began picking up the broken pieces of the mug, "I...I don't know what you're talking about. (Y/n) and I are just friends, that's IT. She's an incredible girl, a brilliant scientist, and an amazing friend...but...she's not April."

Leonardo frowned, crossing his arms, "April is GONE, Donnie. But (y/n), she's right here."

Donnie stayed quiet as he poured a cup of coffee once more, "You're right, she is here...and it's against her will...When this chaos is all over, she'll return back to her father's lab...and I'll...I'll be stuck down here, like always..." He then picked up the two coffee cups and made his way towards the door.

"Donnie...," Leo stopped him, "If you don't try...you'll never know how things would've turned out."

He glanced down and looked towards the lab door, "I...I'll think about it."

Leo sighed as he watched his brother go back into the lab, thinking to himself, if he only knew....

Donatello quietly walked into the lab, seeing the side of your head rested in your arms as you dozed quietly. You had fallen asleep almost immediately after he left, and had no intention of waking up anytime soon. He smiled to himself and quietly walked over, setting the two mugs on the table. You stirred in your sleep as a pipette rolled out of your hand and onto the notebook besides you. He sat down and gently brushed a few stray locks of hair out of your face, running over what Leo said in the kitchen. He glanced at your sleeping figure, noticing the dark circles around your eyes. You had been working nonstop in the lab, and your body had finally caught up with you. He gently took your glasses off and placed them to the side, letting you get into a more relaxed position as he scooped you up into his arms and carried you over to the spare couch in the back of the lab....He knew that your first love would always be science, and he doubted if there would ever be a second...Besides, why would you ever want to stay down here, away from the stars that you loved so dearly? He couldn't ask you to do that...And even if you did stay, you would be in constant danger because of him....you would be such an easy target for his enemies, especially when he wasn't around....He...he wouldn't know what he would do if something ever happened to you...The night he saw that mutant beast about to kill you, it was like his heart had frozen in its place...He couldn't risk his emotions getting in the way of a fight...it would never work....It wasn't logical....

You curled up, letting your tangled, (h/c) hair spill around your shoulders and down your back as he gently laid you down on the patched up couch. Donatello smiled slightly, brushing a few locks out of your peaceful face once again.

...but it was still worth a shot.

"Would you stay here with me, (y/n)?" He murmured softly, "Or would you leave me? Like everyone else?"

A muffled "mmmgmasdfm" was his response.

He smiled slightly and turned around as he picked up your notebook, beginning to takes notes on the ongoing reaction before him.

The two coffee cups sat abandoned on the corner of the table, slowing steaming as you curled up in your sleep and Donatello monitored your experiment.