Chapter 28 - Family

"Oooh Emile, come out come out wherever you are!!" A turtle in an orange mask cooed as he glanced around the room.

The small girl giggled slightly as she stayed hidden behind the couch. Mikey grinned as he saw the top of her black hair peeking above the cushions, but he decided to continue with the game. He hadn't seen Emile laugh or squeal with excitement before, and it was quite amusing.

"Hmmm..." He scratched his chin playfully and stepped over the couch, ignoring her small body curled up on the side.

"Ohh Emile?"

She giggled again, unable to control her smile.

Leaning against the door frame, you watched the ordeal with a tired smile. Donnie stood beside you as he placed a warm cup of coffee into your hands.

"You should rest." He quietly murmured as he brushed a strand of your (h/c) locks behind your ear.

You sighed quietly as you raised the bitter liquid to your mouth.

"I will rest when we are safe," you replied, the soft flesh of your two lips bumping against the warm, porcelain cup.

Emile continued to dodge Mikey around the kitchen and eventually sprinted for the lab, running past you. A soft yelp was heard as the hot coffee dumped on your arm, searing through the fabric of your lab coat.

"Ow ow ow!!!" You gasped.

Donnie quickly sat the cup down, "Are you okay?"

"Y-yeah." You quickly nodded as you hide your arm behind your back.

He raised an eyebrow, his eyes studying yours for a moment. You bit your lip and gave a half smile, reassuring that everything was alright.

"I'm quite alright, honest."

"Hmm...Well, if you begin to see the skin blister, come to me."

You chuckled, "I will."

Donnie nodded and quietly walked back into the lab, beginning to chastise Mikey for tipping over test tubes on a counter. Once you were sure he was out of sight, you quickly ran back to the bathroom. You flipped on a light and rolled back your sleeve, revealing the minor burns along your forearms.

"Great." You mumbled as you examined the scattered wounds. In the middle of it, a small silver lump was seen – The tracking device.

"(Y/n)?" A voice called suddenly.

You quickly whirled around to find Striker's brown eyes scanning your arm.

"You're hurt." He said in a low tone, gently taking your arm into his hand. His forehead was covered in sweat and his breathing was rapid, signaling to you that he had just finished training.

"I-it's just a minor burn, really. I spilled hot coffee."

A grin cracked around his face as he looked at you, "You can never wait for it to cool down, can you?"

"Well if I do that, then it's not good anymore."

"Then maybe this will help teach you a lesson," Striker said, the grin plastered across his face. He then turned around and began searching through the cabinet. "So, have you found a way to remove that device yet?"

"No, but I'm getting close. I know it's not active...a-at least I hope not."

"It's probably not. That was one of his older devices, and his system has been updated since then. If anything, it's incompatible with his new equipment." He pulled out a tube of Neosporin and antibiotic cream. "...You should try consulting Donatello about it."

"No!" You quickly said, causing him to raise an eyebrow at you. "I don't want him worrying," you continued, "He already has enough on his plate as it is. If I mention that I have a tracking device in my arm that will poison me the moment I try to remove it, he would lose it. It's best to just keep this quiet for now."

"If that is what you believe must be done, then I won't get in your way." He mumbled quietly as his hands began to gingerly tend to your wound. It was strange to see a trained assassin work so tenderly. You could feel his warm breath falling along your cheeks as he concentrated. Finally, he finished.

"There, that should hold until it is healed."

"Thank you, Ben."

He gave a half grin, still not used to hearing his true name spoken by the lips of another. "Anytime."

"LOOOOOOOKKKKKKK OUTTTTTTTTT!" A high pitched squeal quickly parted the two of you. "A CRAZY TURTLE IS ON THE LOOSE!" Emile shrieked and giggled as she ducked through your legs, Michaelangelo hot on her trail. You laughed as Striker quickly pulled you aside and held you out of harm's way, his arms holding you secure. Not wanting to miss out on the fun, Raph had proceeded to chase Mikey with his blade, yelling something about a magazine. Donatello continued to scold them as he followed. Emile giggled as she dodged between cabinets, trying to find a hiding spot.

Leo crossed his arms, holding a smug look as he watched the scene unfold.

You smiled as you stayed in Striker's grasp for a second longer.

For once, the world seemed perfect.

This was your family.

Hello Lovelies,

I just wanted to say that:

I AM SO SORRY FOR TAKING OVER A MONTH TO UPDATE.

I have just started college, and things have been slightly more hectic than expected. Never fear though! I will be updating regularly again, and with fall break coming up, I hope to put out several more updates in a short period.

Let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions in where this book should go!
I love you all.

Please comment and vote!

-OnlyFoolsLove