Chapter 6 - Burned

"Hmmm," You cautiously poured a touch of liquid hydrogen into a beaker filled with glycerol, letting the two chemicals mix. You flipped on the Bunsen burner underneath, letting it heat up the beaker. The liquid bubbled for a moment, turning a light shade of orange before turning clear again. You scribbled down notes as you worked, not wanting to forget anything.

Donatello was underneath the ShellRazor, working on the damage that came from their last encounter with the Kraang. You glanced over at him, seeing his feet sticking out from underneath the vehicle.

"Donatello?"

A muffled "Hmph?" was your reply.

"Formula 215 is showing improvement, but it's still too weak. I still can't make it strong enough to penetrate past the mutagen's acid."

He rolled out from underneath the vehicle and paused for a moment, running over different elements in his head.

"Try adding pyrolingenous acid;" He finally said. "Hopefully it'll help work as a counter acid, letting the rest go through."

You nodded and walked over to a shelf of chemicals in labeled beaker. You glanced at the 'p' section, spotting the pyrolingenous acid.

Donatello rolled back underneath the Shellrazor, continuing his work.

You pulled out a sample of the pyroligneous acid and placed a small portion into the beaker, picking up your pencil.

Donnie's eyes widened as he suddenly realized what he said.

"(Y/n), DON'T-"

BOOM!

The beaker exploded, sending shards of glass and fire everywhere.

He quickly rolled out and ran over as the smoke settled, "(y/n)!"

You coughed and took off your now ash-covered glasses, feeling a searing pain in your left hand.

"That was...unpredicted," You mumbled.

Donatello quickly grabbed your injured arm, causing you to wince.

"Sorry, sorry..." He gently turned your hand over in his palm, seeing moderate burns cover it.

"I didn't know you were using an open flame...I-I'm sorry, I should've thought about-"

"Hey," You smiled slightly, "It's fine...It's my fault, really. I majored in Chemistry, for crying out loud! I should've known better."

He smiled slightly and took out the first aid kit, "They're only first degree burns, which is good. It'll only be a few days before it heals."

You nodded and held out your hand as he gently took it, gingerly putting on a salve before wrapping it up.

Leonardo walked in, hearing the loud explosion, "Donnie! Explanation, Now."

You glanced at him as Mikey and Ralph filed in, "It was my fault...I poured pyrolingenous acid in a beaker heated to over 200 degrees farenheit, something only an idiot would do."

Ralph raised an eyebrow, "Aren't you supposed to be, you know, smart?"

You giggled, "Yes, but everyone makes mistakes, including me."

Donatello smiled slightly as he focused on bandaging up your hand, making a mental note to not suggest something without considering everything else ever again.

~A few minutes later~

" Donnie's out of control, Sensei. He's been acting so strange lately," Leonard explained to Splinter, "He doesn't focus as much as he should during training sessions, and is always rushing to get back to his lab while we're on a mission or patrol. And now he's caused (y/n) to get burned because she trusted him, even when she obviously shouldn't. It's like his brain isn't working anymore."

Splinter pondered his son's word for a moment, looking at him.

"Do you remember when you first met Karai?"

Leonardo glanced down, "Yes...but I don't see how this has anything to do with this."

"I do, you were completely infatuated with her. It was like my son Leonardo was replaced by a bumbling idiot."

Leo felt his face go hot, "But I'm not like that anymore. Karai left for Japan...Remember? She's...gone."

Splinter frowned slightly, studying him. "I know...but perhaps Donatello thinks of Dr. (y/n) the same way you once thought of Karai."

Leonardo looked up at him, "But...April-"

"April has moved on with her life, and I believe that Donatello is doing the same...Don't discourage him."

He nodded, looking back down, "Hai...Sensei."

------------------------------------

Hi Lovelies:D Sorry, this one was a bit short. I needed some filler;) Let me know what you think!

Love you guys

-Kung Fu Tiigress