Chapter 7

Rosie's POV

"The lunch bell's gonna go any second.." Cate sighed , putting her phone in her pocket.

I huffed and shoved the last bit of Janice's birthday cake into my mouth , wiping my fingers on a napkin and then throwing said napkin into the bin. "Tell Janice thank you for the cake for me.." I said , picking up my worksheets from the printer and then opening the office door.

"I will.." , she said with a smile.

I shut the door behind me and hurried into my classroom , I can't exactly scold my students for being late if I'm late myself. I set the worksheets down on my desk and then sit down at my laptop, putting up the powerpoint slide with the task on it that they'd be getting on with once they came in.

Running around like a headless chicken , I then stood back up again and propped open the classroom door , leaning against the door frame ready to greet my students as I always do.

One by one , they turned up to my door and smiled as they walked into the classroom. Jessica , Bella and Tristen , the girls who I almost gave detention to for being late yesterday , turned up significantly earlier today in order to avoid the fate they almost met just the day before.

Walking swiftly but not quite as speedily as when she greeted me this morning , Kennedy turned the corner of the corridor and smiled at me when she spotted me by the door. I returned the smile and addressed her as she walked by , "Good Afternoon , Miss Matthews.." I said , smiliing even wider now having thought back to our conversation this morning. She's so cocky and confident , yet not at all arrogant or rude.

After I talked to Christine about Kennedy last night , I decided that I'd try and distance myself from her in an attempt to ease the attraction , but my god was I falling horrifically. I couldn't help it , she was just so charming and easy to talk to , and even though it's been just two days , I feel as though my attachment to this girl is beginning to show. Nevertheless , I continue to treat her the way I do every other student , as ignoring her just wouldn't be fair on her whatsoever.

"Afternoon , Miss Foster.." , she says , returning the smile.

She then walks past me and sits down in her seat. I think she's the last one ; I checked over my shoulder to be sure and had my inkling confirmed when I saw all of the seats full. Satisfied that no one had turned up late , I closed the door and made my way back over to my desk.

"Task is on the board , you all know what you're doing.." I said , having given them an extremely easy recap assignment from yesterday's lesson.

———

Having called the last name on the register , I ascribed them all a task to do in silence while I took a quick walk around the room to check that they'd all done their homework. To my surprise , so far everybody had done the work , to what standard would be a question that answered itself when I marked the work later on this evening , but at least they'd all put in the effort.

I approached Kennedy's desk but furrowed my brows when I saw pages 1-8 having been summarised , but the other two sets of notes nowhere to be seen.

"Kennedy?" I whispered , causing her to immediately look up at me.

"Where're pages nine and ten?" I asked.

She looked at me guiltily , "I'm sorry but I didn't get time to finish them , can I get them to you tomorrow morning before school?" , she asked , those pleading eyes almost causing me to give in and let her off the hook.

But I'm better than that , as I clarified previously , I have to treat her like I would every other student.

I sighed and crossed my arms , "Kennedy what happened , you were finishing it off literally just this morning?" I asked.