Chapter 9

Kennedy's POV

I was about to turn around and wave Rosie goodbye , as I could see her waiting until she knew that I'd gotten inside safely , but the front door opened unannounced with Gavin stood on the other side of it.

My eyes widened when he took a firm hold of my wrist and abruptly yanked me inside of the house , slamming the door behind me in the process.

Without saying a word , as he knew it would alert mum to the situation , he dragged me by the wrist into the kitchen, his fingertips whitening due to the tightness of his grip.

Once in the kitchen , he shut , or rather slammed , the door and turned towards me , his face so uncomfortably close to my own that I could smell the mix of cigarettes and that crappy sider he drank on his breath.

"Where the fuck were you??" he demanded , through gritted teeth.

I said nothing.

"The deal is that if I spend my entire fucking day wiping Alice's ass , you have to take over from three thirty so I can actually have a fucking life of my own.." he continued , pointing his finger in my face and getting progressively louder the longer he spoke.

I clenched my jaw ; whenever he talked about mum like that it genuinely made my blood boil , my hands were balled into fists at my sides and I could feel my fingernails subconsciously digging into my palms in anger.

"WHERE WERE YOU??" he yelled , far more aggressively than I was anticipating.

I stared right back at him as I replied , "School.."

At this , Gavin puffed out his chest , pulled back his arm and slapped me across the face , forcing my head to whip to one side due to the force behind the slap. I gasped as his hand made contact with my right cheek , the immediate feeling of heat rising to the surface of my cold skin causing my eyes to well up with tears.

My skin stung as blood rushed to my face, the area that took on the full brunt of the contact already throbbing in pain.

"What have I told you about that fucking attitude?" , he gritted his teeth once again.

I subtly took a deep breath and used every inch of whatever it was I could muster to keep myself together , I wasn't going to cry in front of him.

"Get your shit together and stick to the fucking schedule.." he said , getting even more up in my face than before.

I clenched my jaw tighter and nodded my head, which after a few seconds, got him to back away.

He then stormed out of the kitchen and out through the front door , just as he did yesterday. As soon as I heard the door shut behind him , I allowed the tears to fall from my waterline and then slowly onto my cheeks , emphasising the hot , stinging pain on the one of them.

I then found a clean tea towel from inside of the cupboard , ran it under cold tap and then held it against my cheek , pressing down gently and wincing when I applied a little bit too much pressure.

"Shit.." , I mumbled to myself under my breath , dabbing the area gently.

——

My eyelids immediately felt about seven times heavier the second my head hit the pillow. I curled my legs up to my chest , wrapped my arm around a spare pillow which I always cuddle to fall asleep , and then closed my eyes.

Mentally , I ran through the list of things I had to have gotten done before going to sleep , making sure that I'd done them all.

I've given mum her meds , cooked her dinner , helped her in the bath and then gave her the pills that suppressed the pain enough to allow her to sleep. That was it I think.