Chapter 15

Rosie's POV

"You can't wear that to a funeral?" I said , scanning my eyes over Chris' outfit of choice as she approached my car.

She furrowed her brows , "Why can't I?" she said , climbing into the front passengers seat next to me.

"You look like you've just come back from a night out?" I told her.

Dressed in a pair of tall , black stilettos and a black body-con dress , Chris sat smug and completely unaware of the inappropriate nature of her outfit.

"What do you mean? Why are you allowed to look hot and I'm not?" she argued.

Sometimes I wonder if my sister ever did grow up ; that is until I remind myself of her masters degree in law that she worked so incredibly hard to achieve. Nonetheless, she never fails to astonish me through some of the crap she comes out with.

I shake my head , "What do you mean , I'm dressed perfectly appropriately for a funeral?" I retorted.

Chris sighs , "You always look hot in all black..Plus don't even pretend that you don't fancy yourself in that suit.." she said , smirking at me accusatorially.

"I will neither confirm nor deny your allegation.." I replied, allowing a small smile to pull at the corners of my lips.

Chris rolled her eyes.

I smiled , "Point is , are you sure you want to wear that , babe?" I asked.

Chris nodded her head , "If I'm gonna pretend to grieve our abusive father , I may as well look hot doing it.." she said.

Putting my car into first gear and pulling out of Chris' driveway, I nodded my head with my eyebrows raised and a respectable smile on my lips. "Fair enough.." I told her.

"That settles that then.." Chris said as she fastened her seatbelt.

———

Now just fifteen minutes away from the place the funeral was bing held , Chris opened the glove compartment on the passengers side and began digging through it , clearly searching for something specific and doing a great job at making a mess in the process.

"Would you mind not ransacking my car?" I said , glancing briefly away from the road to look at what she was doing.

Chris sighed , "Have you got any chewing gum or a mint or something?"

I nodded my head , "There's a pack of gum on the back seat somewhere , get me a piece please while you're at it.." I told her.

Chris smiled and then leaned into the back , running her hands along the seats in an attempt to find the gum. "How come Kennedy's jacket is still back here? I thought you were giving that back to her yesterday?" she asked , having obviously spotted the jacket folded up on my back seat.

"She wasn't in school on Friday.." I responded, holding out my hand as Chris placed a piece of gum into the palm of it.

Chris popped a piece of gum into her own mouth and then returned to facing forwards and out of the windshield. "How come?" she queried.

I shrugged my shoulders , "No idea..I sent her an email with the work she missed out on and said that I hoped all was well , but she never responded.." I told her.

Chris turned on her side to face me , "Did not seeing her for a day cool things down or make it worse?" my sister asked.

"Make what worse?" I said.

Chris sighed , "Oh you know..the crush you have on one of your students?!" she said.

It's just the two of us in this car , but hearing her say it aloud , I instinctively wanted to ask her to lower her voice for the fear that someone may hear.