Chapter 24

Rosie's POV

Having a quick scope about I see that there's not an overly huge number of people still here.

Although I'm trying my best to keep a professional distance from her , I can't help but feel worried over what I just saw regarding Kennedy. Day-to-day she maintains such a poker face that it's almost impossible to tell what she might be thinking, let alone feeling. Just now when she practically ran past me and outside to the back , she looked genuinely upset and almost panicked.

Letting my curiosity and concern get the better of me , I tap Claire on the shoulder , who had just turned around to speak to another parent.

"I'm sorry to interrupt" , I address both Claire and the parent who were mid-conversation , "Is it okay if I take a wander and leave you alone for a minute?" I ask Claire.

"Of course , go , I'll be just fine." she replied with a smile.

It's freezing out there , and so on my way out I grabbed a hold of my jacket and swiftly slipped it over my shoulders. I only made it one foot out of the door before I saw Kennedy , who was running back inside and almost barged straight into me , where she would've undoubtedly knocked me over with the speed she was running at.

"What's wrong?" I asked her , concerned by her overtly distressed demeanour.

"I need to go I'm sorry. I know I said I could stay the whole night and I know you need help clearing up after all the parents leave later an-" she began rambling before I stopped her.

I step closer to her and place one hand gently on her right shoulder , squeezing ever so slightly.

"It's okay love , slow down." I say , "Take your time and tell me slowly , why do you need to go?"

She took one single semi-deep breath and slowed her speech, at least to an extent that I could comprehend.

"My mum's in the hospital and I need to get there as soon as possible, I can't stay like I agreed to , I'm sorry." she says , looking at the floor rather than at me.

Immediately alarm bells start sounding in my mind ; I know this situation all too well to the point that I can't stop my empathetic instincts from taking over what I say next.

"Look at me Kenn" I tell her and she complies.

I can see the hurt in her eyes.

"It's okay , go and get your bag and your coat from where you left it in the classroom, you know where I usually park so meet me at my car and I'll drive you there." I tell her in an attempt to calm her down.

A wave of relief seems to wash over her at the knowledge that she has a way of getting
to the hospital ; she composes herself quickly , as if she'd practiced it many a time , which only makes my heart ache for her more.

"Thank you" , is all she said before running across campus to retrieve her things.

There isn't time to feel anything, or to ponder the ins and outs of what Kennedy told me about her mother. All I know is that if I were in her shoes , which I have been before , I would just want somebody to help me with what I ask them to , no questions or strings attached.

With that in mind , I made it quickly back inside and over to Claire who was still talking to that same father she was a few minutes ago.

"Claire I need to go and sort some things out off site , I'll call you later to let you know if I can make it back in time to close up. I'm so sorry." I told her.

She smiled sincerely, "Go and do whatever you need to do , keep me posted and let me know you're okay." she said.

This is why she's one of my best friends ; she doesn't demand an explanation or a time frame for when I'll be back. Her ability to be so understanding is what I value most about her.