Chapter 29

Kennedy's POV

"How was today? Did you manage to rest at all before my sister disturbed you?" Rosie questioned , arms crossed and leant against the door frame.

Smiling , I shook my head.

"She didn't disturb me , and yes I slept until midday or something and then hung out with your dog until your sister arrived" I told her with a smile , pouring boiling water into a mug containing a teabag.

She chuckled softly. "And how're you feeling?"

I shrug my shoulders, ceasing to look up from the spoon I'm stirring.

"Honestly...I don't know.." I tell her , despite being fully aware of the entirely unhelpful nature of my response.

Rosie doesn't speak ; instead , she looks at me intently, as if silently giving me the space I need to consider my answer, but not imposing any pressure to deliver the 'correct' one , if any at all.

"I think I'm going to go home tomorrow..if that's okay?" I state , regretfully.

The truth is that, unsurprisingly , I really don't want to leave, in fact that's the opposite of what I want. But tonight is already my second night staying in Rosie's home and I can't keep risking things on her behalf ; she's been too compassionate for me to end up being the reason she loses her job , or suffers other , more serious , repercussions. Boundaries have already been pushed , and as much as I want to continue gaining this closeness with her , it'll put so many aspects of her life in jeopardy.

There's a slight pause in the conversation before Rosie responds.

"Oh you do?" she questions , as if she wasn't expecting me to leave any time soon , "Of course that's okay love , I'm not going to force you to stay here...that's called holding someone hostage."

I laugh at the blunt tone in which she comedically delivered that last part , bringing a smile to her lips. I won't lie though, I'm slightly upset that she didn't demonstrate even just a little bit of protest , not that there would be a need for it realistically...but still.

I pass her the cup of tea I made her , with a perfect water-to-milk-to-sugar ratio may I add , and lean back against the kitchen side.

Rosie takes a sip , pulling a face you could only describe as pure disgust. I furrow my brows questioningly, to which Rosie responds with a loud and short burst of laughter.

"You're mean.." I shake my head , resisting a smile.

She grins , "Sorry , I had to.."

I feel a sensation of warmth in my chest , it's sweet the way she makes an effort to cheer me up.

Seconds later , both Rosie and I are suddenly alerted to Chris' presence behind us , brought to our attention at the sound of her excitable tone.

"FOUND IT!!!" she exclaims.

I turn around to see Chris waving her driver's license , the one that she had hidden in a spot supposedly impossible to uncover , in the air. Her expression wore a triumphant smile.

"Where was it?" I ask , genuinely intrigued as to where it was all this time , considering I've been here a full 24 hours and had not seen it once.

"Oh it was in Rosie's pants (underwear) drawer" she replies, unapologetically.

I glance at Rosie , having to physically bite my tongue in order to restrain myself from laughing.

"Oh brilliant." Rosie quips sarcastically , giving Chris the evil-eye.