Chapter 12

Kennedy's POV

Slamming my textbook closed , I breathed a heavy sigh of relief and slouched back in my desk chair.

I definitely underestimated how difficult it would be to catch up on the psychology work I missed out on yesterday. But that being said , it's just gone five o'clock and I've done a good enough chunk of it for me to be able to call it a day.

So , I closed up my pencil case , filed my notes into my folder and then put it all away. Even though I'll inevitably get this stuff out again tomorrow, I hate my room looking cluttered and I always feel the need to have my desk especially looking pristine. That's something I can definitely say I got from mum.

Speaking of mum , about 30 minutes after I got home from school , mum's carer rung me from a hospital phone and allowed me to speak to her for a while.

I could tell that she was doing her best to disguise it , but even so , she sounded absolutely exhausted. Nevertheless, she did as any mother would do and drilled me with questions about anything and everything ; asking me about my day , what I was gonna have for dinner , how I was feeling , how much exercise I was doing.

I desperately wanted to talk with her for longer but after about twenty minutes , we were forced to say goodbye so that mum could eat her dinner and then do her physical therapy afterwards.

Anyway , although it's getting dark and pretty chilly outside, I've decided that I need some fresh air and an opportunity to stretch my legs , considering the fact that I will most likely be sat down for the latter of this evening in front of the TV.

So , I stood up from my desk , put both my phone and my headphones in my pocket and then made my way downstairs. Upon reaching the bottom of the stairs, I unhooked my jacket from the end of the banister , slipped on a pair of shoes and then exited my front door , locking it behind me before zipping up the keys securely in my coat pocket.

I haven't decided where I'm going yet , all I know is that I desperately need to get out of the house for a while.

_________

Autumn is definitely my favourite time of year. Living in England , it's rare that you can take a nice walk outside and not have it ruined by one weather related factor or another , be it torrential rain , below freezing temperatures , hurricane-like winds , a week long heat wave that could easily be compared to a warm day in Sudan , or an influx of pollen that causes you to experience a hay fever attack that could last for days , or even weeks.

But in autumn, although it still rains and can often still appear dreary and grey , I find that I enjoy the season a lot more than I do the other three.

I like how it's still cold , cold enough for you to be able to turn on the fireplace and curl up under a blanket to feel cosy in the evenings, but not so cold that you can't go outside in a jumper and light-weight jacket to be able to go out on a walk and appreciate the autumnal scenery around you.

I much prefer the cold to the heat ; it's just something about being able to be tucked up warm inside, preferably cuddling with a significant other , whilst the world outside is cold and crisp. Call me old fashioned or boring , but a night in on a cold autumnal day snuggling with somebody I love sounds idyllic to say the least.

My trail of thoughts ran away with itself when I spotted a small cream coloured dog leaping and bounding toward me in the distance , it's tongue hanging out of it's mouth as it dragged it's leash across the floor behind it.

As it approached me , it stood up on it's hind legs and began jumping and pawing at my knees , barking with it's tail wagging excitedly.

"Hey doggo!" I greeted the animal as I crouched down to stroke it's head.