Chapter 26

Kennedy's POV

Stepping under the hot water , the burning sensation created by it's heat rushing over my cold skin , I wonder what the fuck I'm doing with myself.

I just want the ground to open up from underneath me and swallow me whole ; I can't believe I let Rosie see me like that , to the point where she didn't even want me going back to my own home alone.

She was right though ; I don't want to go home , I don't want to feel sorry for myself in those empty rooms , alone with my thoughts whilst basically in silence , barring the hushed background noise of the TV.

That being said , I can't help but feel like a charity case. In my right mind I know that Rosie wouldn't let a student into her personal life without good , genuine reason , yet I still can't beat the feeling of her wanting to just quickly sort me out and send me on my way.

My head hurts , and the heat cultivating inside of this steamy bathroom isn't helping. I rapidly finish up my shower , using minimal amounts of the most inexpensive looking body wash , shampoo and conditioner I could find.

After switching the taps off , accidentally engulfing myself in freezing cold water during the struggle, I took a second to look at myself in the large mirror positioned above the sink. I ran my hands over my mid-section , my abdominal muscles feel slightly sore from heaving so hard earlier whilst crying. It's never been that bad before.

Eventually I open the cupboard above the toilet like Rosie instructed , and find two soft , grey towels. I wrap the larger one around my body , fastening it over my boobs before flipping my head upside down to wrap my hair with the smaller one.

If Rosie was still in the house, I'd have undoubtedly changed in the bathroom , but since she's gone , I know an awkward encounter with her whilst both naked , and red faced from the hot water , can definitely be avoided.

Still , I open the bathroom door cautiously and pad swiftly down the hallway,  escaping to the safety of the guest bedroom.

I close the door concretely behind me and then turn back around to properly look over the room. It's warm in here , not a stuffy and claustrophobic warm though, a comfortable and safe kind of warm.

A double bed sits against the back corner near the window , the simple white bedding making it look untouched and pristine. A standard looking bed side table and lamp sits beside it , and against the right wall is a big chest of drawers with candles , a small plant and a random toothbrush sat on top of it.

Even if Rosie had offered me a place to sleep on the floor of her garden shed , I would've still taken that chance just to be away from home. The fact she's allowing me to stay in this room is something I'm beyond grateful for.

On the end of the bed laid out are the clothes Rosie's letting me borrow , and on top of that are two paracetamols and two ibuprofens. Not wasting another second , I shove two pills at a time into my mouth and dry swallow them , desperate to ease the incessant pounding in my head.

Slowly , as bending down at the moment causes a rush of dizziness to take over my body , I get changed into a pair of grey jogging bottoms (which are a little big , but maximum physical comfort is what I need right now) , and a black hoodie with white lettering that reads "University of Cambridge" across the front. Although in mint condition and with a perfectly intact layer of soft fleece on the inside , the hoodie seems old so I assume it's authentically hers.

I had no idea she was such an academic? Intelligence is wildly attractive and I stand by that.

Finally , I slip on a pair of white Nike socks left in a ball next to the rest , pulling them up over the cuffs of the joggers.