||3||

Gently closing the book, Parikshit placed it on the elegant carmine red couch, adorned with beautiful symmetric carvings. He decided to continue reading the half-perused memoir the next day.

As the sunrays streamed through the window, Parikshit's eyes fluttered open. He quickly made his way to the snānakakṣaṁ (bathing chamber) and performed sandhyāvandanaṁ (ritual prayers). Following his usual routine as an emperor, he removed the heavy crown that reminded him of his responsibilities towards the vast land. His hands reached for the journal, clasping it firmly.

"Arya!" Parikshit turned at the sound of Madravati's humble voice. He greeted his consort with a polite smile. "Pitamahi wishes to see you at the entrance," Madravati informed him. Parikshit's legs urged him to reach his grandfather, but he glanced uncertainly at Madravati.

The soldiers respectfully bowed their heads to their emperor, their eyes gleaming with admiration. Parikshit halted at the temple, and his lotus eyes fell upon Subhadra. Delight filled his heart as he noticed someone standing at the entrance.

"Satya!" Parikshit's voice brimmed with excitement as he addressed his sister. They shared a tight embrace after a long time. "Bhrata, do you even remember me?" Satyapriya asked, her question echoing in Parikshit's ears.

He shrugged in an ordinary manner, a hint of pride glinting in his eyes. "Of course not! Once again, I am the only one who receives the affection of Māta and Pitashri," he replied, giving Satyapriya a mischievous smile.

Satyapriya puffed up her cheeks and raised her thick, curved eyebrows at her brother's words. She lightly hit his broad and hard chest, switching from delight to annoyance. Subhadra chuckled at the playful banter between the siblings.

"I didn't come here willingly! It's the fifth month of my pregnancy, and rituals forced me to be here!" Satyapriya exclaimed, throwing a glare at Parikshit.

The siblings brushed off their fatigue as the crescent moon bathed the capital city in its rays.

"Matrvha used to say, 'siblings are born to irritate us and drain our energy.' I don't agree with the first half when it comes to Jyestha Abhilasha, but the second half is an undeniable truth," they spoke in unison, exchanging meek glances.

Sweat trickled down Parikshit's forehead as he returned to the memoir. "Let's explore the significance of this day regarding the birth of Jyestha," he said, an enthusiastic and curious grin on his face as he turned the pages.

As the pages fluttered, a gust of wind rustled the parchments. Parikshit stumbled upon a random page, where bold words were scattered across the parchment. The bold words seemed to be stained with a transparent liquid. Parikshit's attention was immediately captured by the worn-out sight of the words, and he read them aloud.

My feet stumbled upon the scene, and my laughter vanished in an instant. My heart refused to accept the drastic change that my eyes beheld. Tears welled up in my eyes as my feet lost the strength to stand. I was enveloped by illusions.

'Abhi,' I ardently caressed the infant's cheeks. 'Abhi, wake up,' I suppressed my sobs and stuttered.

Motherly emotions surged through my veins as I witnessed my newborn lifeless. For a brief moment, I waited for a response from my child, ignoring everyone else. Continuous prayers echoed in my mind, attempting to console myself.

'Saśi, it's over,' Arya placed his palm on my shoulder in a comforting manner.

'No, no, she's just sleeping,' I repeated the phrase desperately.

This time, I let my sobs escape. I was the same woman who wore a beautiful smile on her face, and now destiny had cruelly struck me, reminding me of my misfortune as a mother.