A Mysterious Pokémon

"Why did we have to leave so late back win Rosecove?" Tess whined. "It's getting pretty dark and scary." The day had crawled to a sunset, and the sky was ridding itself of all the flying types up in the air.

"Yeah, and it's getting cold too." Jake stated. "I wonder when we'll get to the next Pokémon centre." He did not want to speak directly to Play. Play brought out his map, which was a little difficult to read in the minimum amount of light. As he studied it, they were just coming on to route 10. Ah, yes, he could see the connecter up ahead, then after that...what? He was sure he remembered seeing a Pokémon centre icon on route 10. No big deal, when was the next one? Craganos Caves, then Craganos cliffs, Anthian sky ship. Estimated travel: 2 hours. WAIT! That shut hours ago.

"Umm." Play began. "It says the next stop is in..Anthian city." You could have heard a pin drop.

"WHAT!!" Cried Jake and Tess in unison. "You mean we have to sleep outside?" There was a brief silence, when they got to the connector and moved on to route 10. As they got out, it was kinda bland. A few houses here and there, the path was empty, of course. The most exciting thing there was a windmill, but even that had been turned off. And sure enough, no Pokémon centre.

"What are we gonna do now?" Jake muttered.

"Who knows, sleeping outside might be fun." Play exclaimed. Jake gave him a look, but then he jumped three feet as a terrifying shape leapt out of nowhere and prowled round them. Play thought he'd already had enough scares at the Fortulose mansion, but the creature had bright blue eyes and a long curved, crescent moon shaped appendage on it's head. Play took out his Pokédex

Absol, the disaster Pokémon. Every time Absol appears before people, it is followed by a disaster such as an earthquake or a tsunami. As a result, it promptly became known as the disaster Pokémon. When Absol is rumoured to have dangers in it's horn, it flees to the mountain. And they are said to live over 100 years.

"I've heard of Absol." Tess said, her voice trembling. "It really is true, they do bring disasters." Play barely dared to breath as the Absol crept nearer and stared intently at him. It seemed to pay close attention to his neck, and snorted, as though laughing. Then, the disaster Pokémon bent low and took off into the night sky. Play shivered in the cold.

"Maybe someone in those houses will let us stay there." Jake said, pointing at them. Play noticed the lightless windows.

"But the lights are off, so everyone's probably in bed, I'd hate to wake them." Play said through gritted teeth. Click, clack, click Play's shoes clicked the paved ground with every step, and because everything was so deathly quiet, you always found yourself hearing everything. Right at the end of route 10, was an entrance to a mine-shaft.

"That must be Craganos Caves." Play thought, shuddering again from the freezing temperature. What on earth was he going to do. There was no speaking for a while. The three studied Craganos Caves.

"It's got to be even colder in there." Tess spoke solemnly. The other two nodded in agreement. Play walked onto the grass, but his foot bumped against something warm.

"Hm?" Play muttered, looking down. He picked up the item, it seemed to be charcoal? It was hot and it greatly warmed up his torso, despite only holding it in his hand. Play glanced up and saw a sign. It read 'Charmeleon's Campsite' On the sign, was a cartoon picture of a Charmeleon winking and holding a thumbs up, and wearing a grin. Past the sign, look like an abandoned camp site, there must have been three or four camp sites with embers lingering around the centre fire. It must have been abandoned recent for the charcoal to be warm, and there to be scattered embers, but the sleeping bags were torn and were dirty. It was rather strange.

"Hey, come see this." Play called back. Jake and Tess ran to him, and when they saw the sleeping bags, their faces lit up with glee.

"Sleeping bags!" Tess squealed with delight.

"Thanks, Play!" Jake cried, neglecting to even look straight at him. The two climbed into sleeping bags and sighed with relief.

"What are you waiting for?" Tess asked. Play felt like he was in a school pantomime, with the spotlight shining directly on him.

"Well.." He started. "Isn't it a bit dodgy?" That shocked both of them into silence, for a few moments.

"I guess it is a little strange to be sleeping in a strangers sleeping bag." Jake realised, beginning to untangle himself.

"Wait!" Tess said. "It's better than nothing, right?" On one hand, Play was sure to wake up in a pool of sweat that wasn't his if he slept here, but just imagining standing out in the cold would be more painful than unsanitary, plus, he could just take a bath in Anthian city. And, he needed the rest.

"Okay." he mumbled, settling down, he awkwardly positioned himself so he was kind of half in the sleeping bag, half out. He rested his head on the cool grass, and stared up at the twinkling stars in the night sky. He very nearly started to drift off immediately, but Tess broke the silence with a very important question.

"So what about food?" Tess asked directly at him for some reason. "My stomach's growling like a Mightyena."

"Yeah, mine too." Jake said. They both stared at him, expecting an answer.

"Hold on, why is it suddenly my responsibility for everything?" He demanded. "I had no idea route 10 wouldn't have a Pokémon centre." Tess grumpily drooped further inside her sleeping bag, rubbing her gurgling abdomen.

"I'll take that as a no then." She muttered. Play let his head fall back and make contact with the grass, covered with dew. He stared up at the stars once more, and drifted off to sleep in seconds.