Mitis town

All was quiet in Mitis town, the clouds were a dull grey, it was all quiet, everyone was in bed, except for two archeologists. They were quite famous, all year they been researching, all year, and were on verge of a breakthrough. A mysterious Pokemon was about to be discovered. not much was known about it. Apart from the fact that it had the power to grant infinite wishes beyond anyones imagination.

Play was fast asleep. The sun had brightly come up, it was well past 9 'o clock. He woke with a start. Instantly recognising the day, he jumped to his feet.

"Today's the day I get my starter Pokémon from Professor Cypress." He said excitedly, it was his tenth birthday. He grabbed his favourite dark green jacket, and ruffed brown shoes. His room was full to the brim with pictures of pokemon and other stuff. His favourite was a large map of Roria he planned to travel. He ran down the narrow, wooden staircase, and into the living room. Too excited to even have breakfast, he rushed outside. he sharply inhaled the fresh morning air. Then, Play's best friend, Jake walked over with a smile on his face. Jake had died his hair a violety black. He wore a dark white t-shirt, and faded navy jeans.

"Hey, Play." He called. "Todays the day we get our starter Pokémon."

"How could I forget?" Play grinned.

"I'm just gonna go over to the lab." Jake said. "But your parents said they wanted to see you at the dig site." And with that, he waved and strolled to the lab. Play felt a tiny bit annoyed, he would do anything to get starter as early as possible. But he couldn't say no to his parents. the dig site took up a small portion of the town. His parents made a deal with the government. They had made an agreement, that they could dig anywhere they liked inside the border. The dig site was made of course dirt, and ancient Pokémon fossils lay all over the site. His parents stood at the end of the site, in front of a massive closed off hole. Instead of digging, they were just standing, and watching, waiting. When they heard footsteps, they warmly greeted Play.

"Happy birthday Sweetie." His mother said. She hugged him tightly.

"Happy birthday son." His father said, who simply patted him on the back.

"Whats the tape for?" Play asked curiously.

"Just some ares me and your father were studying." She smiled. "Anyway, I'm sure your sick of waiting, let's go and get your starter Pokémon. As Play walked past the ruby red houses of Mitis town, he felt the most excited he had ever felt in his life. He had waited ten long years for this moment, travelling Roria with Pokémon at his side was his ultimate dream. It was only a short walk to the professor's lab. The lab was on a slight hill, with grey stone pave, and a neat bright green lawn. Inside, the lab was split into two rooms, the first room, was smaller, and used for research. Professor Cypress had only been in Mitis a few months, his work space was quite small. The second room, which was larger. Contained all the Pokémon he researched. Even more importantly, the starter Pokémon, 24 of them. Play's parents were there, so was Jake, Cypress's assistant David was also there. Professor Cypress, wore a smart black suit with silver rimmed glasses, he had a dark purple tie, and shortly cut brown hair.   

"Well Play." Cypress said, positioning his glasses. "It looks like you are here to collect your starter Pokémon. Yes well, as you know Pokémon are much more about pets, they are our friends, are we have evolved to grow and learn with them." Play nodded.

"Now without any further ado." Cypress said. He always spoke quietly and calmly. "You can choose your starter Pokémon." There being 24 of them. This was not going to be an easy choice. He could choose a water type like Mudkip, a fire type like Litten, or a grass type like Bulbasaur.

"How about we go through them one at a time." Cypress suggested. A screen turned on and it showed each Pokémon and their stats. Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Chikorita, Cyndaquill, Totadile, Mudkip, Torchic, Treeko, Turtwig, Chim-Char. When he got to Piplup, he stopped. He read it's general information:

"Piplup is a proud Pokémon and an excellent swimmer, and it has a layer of down that keeps out the cold. Although not the most sure-footed, it is proud nonetheless, getting right back up after a fall with head held high. Piplup's limited walking skills often cause it to fall down, but that never hurts it's pride."

"I'll take Piplup." Play announced.

"A bold choice." Cypress said.

"What a cute Pokémon." His mother said.

Cypress took Piplup's Pokéball and handed it to Play, and smiled. After Play thanked him. Walked into the second room, with tremendous energy, he couldn't wait to start his journey. As he had his hand on the metal door.

"Hey Play!" Jake called. Play turned around. Jake was there holding a Pokéball with a grinning look on his face.

"Now that we have Pokémon, LETS BATTLE!"

"You're on!" Play replied.

"Go Eevee."

"Go Piplup."

Jake had a brown Eevee. Jake was clearly very proud and it didn't look like her was afraid to do serious damage. Play was ready to take him on. 

 "Eevee, use tackle!" Jake commanded.

"Piplup!" Play yelled. "Use Pound". The two attacks clashed in the middle, and again, and again. After a while though, it became obvious that Jake's Eevee was stronger than Play's Piplup. With one final tackle, the battle was over. Even if Play lost, it still meant he had fun. Jake nodded, while Play bowed his head and returned Piplup. Jake walked back into the other room, with professor Cypress. Play's parents walked in.

"Even though you lost." His mother began. "You still fought amazingly." Play felt his sadness lift a little.

"Before you go, I just want you to take this." His mother said, she took out a necklace with bronze dangling on it.

"Here you go." She said.

"Goodbye, son." Play's father said. Play smiled.