Chapter 29 - Linking the Past and Present

Seulgi's attention was only focus to Irene. She wished to ask what's bothering the lady. She had been itching to ask this for so many times but couldn't bring herself to do it. She felt that it was going to put them both into an awkward position. Also she thought it's inappropriate for a stranger like her to be concerned so she kept her mouth shut and just observed the lady in front of her. She's being bothered by the thoughts and she couldn't look away from her. There's this invisible thread pulling her to Irene. An intuition to just be closer with her. She tried to shrug it off a couple of times. She thought maybe she was just being mesmerized by Irene's ethereal beauty. She knew this sort of thing wasn't new to her when she works with models and celebrities in the industry to promote their medicines. Though not directly, she met couple of them in a daily basis. Even so she thought it was odd that there's this lingering feelings of longing as if she knew her from a very long time and she couldn't helped but to feel sad seeing Irene having troubles.

"Nuh, this is just uhm maybe a simple crush. I've been single for a very long time and anyone could feel the same being next to Irene." Seulgi thought. "Don't be foolish. She clearly has a hang up with her best friend. You can never beat their closeness. Stay on your lane, Seulgi." She mentally scolded herself. "Ah shut up brain!"

"Did you say something?" Irene brows furrowed and looked at Seulgi's direction. She thought she heard Seulgi said something but she's not so sure because she's preoccupied too. She immediately wiped her tears away. While Seulgi pretended not to witness anything. The credits from the movie they were watching already rolled but not one decided to turn off the old tv set and vhs player.

"Oh, nothing. I just remember something about work. So anyway if ever you want to work or need my help landing you a job in the city then just give me a call, okay? I can arrange my schedule to meet you. Consider that as my payment for your hospitality and touring me around here." Seulgi gulped because she taught it was careless to put her guards down around a stranger. She did her best to talk about something else. She didn't remember what really happened with Tom & Jerry. Her attention was not of the film.

Irene smiled widely, "Are you for real? I got kicked from my previous job because-" she paused contemplating if she should share this with someone she just met. She felt like she knew Seulgi for a bit long and she's getting too comfortable around her. But something was telling her to reserve herself from being so open with new people. "Well, my boss thought I don't fit my job. He fired me." She simply said it like it didn't matter.

"What? Why did he do that? Maybe you did something wrong. I don't think an employer would fire someone that easily without a basis. Come on you are just kidding, right?"

Irene shook her head. "Nope, I am really a good for nothing. I just don't know how to live my life. It took a great toll on my life when she left me.

She left me.

She left me.

That made Seulgi think about it over and over again. "Did Irene's best friend drop her like a potato?"

Seulgi felt bad. She thought Irene does not deserve to live like this. She must move on and live her life to the fullest. Then she realized they are kinda alike. She's exactly like that because of Lisa. She wanted to smack her head to wake up but she couldn't do it in front of Irene. She would need to reflect on her own actions before she preaches to other people on how should they live their lives. She was getting more and more curious. Again that growing curiosity of her would be the end of her. She was dying to ask Irene what happened to her friend. Did she leave when she discovered Irene has a secret feelings for her? Was Irene disappointed? She was lost of words and could not initiate a talk with Irene.