Chapter 1 - 2001 Seoul

The Manobans' were devastated by the news. Lisa bitterly smiled so she won't worry her parents. On the other hand, Mr. Manoban refused to believe what the doctor just told them.

"No, no! You can't take away our precious daughter. She's young. She has potentials and she has a bright future ahead of her." He furiously grabbed the doctor's collar. "Can you hear me? I will bring her to another doctor or abroad. We will find other options."

"Darling, please don't take it against Dr. Lee. He did everything." Mrs. Manoban tried to calm her husband down. "He's the best doctor we've got"

"How can you easily accept this? Lisa can't be dying. I did not raise her just to lose her this early. I can die earlier, I am old but not our daughter." He was crying already and her wife hugged him.

"If only I can take her place. This is also hard for me. She's my daughter too, please don't forget that." Mrs. Manoban joined him and the doctor remained quiet seeing the scene inside his consultation room.

Lisa couldn't bear to watch her parents break down so she went out to take some fresh air.

She didn't expect as well that her condition is getting worst she thought she's really getting healthy and recovering. Even taking surgery won't extend her life. No one can save her. This is the reality she needed to face. She's going to die soon. She didn't know how long she would have but the doctor said she would see some signs when her body starts deteriorating. Physically she's fine and she can do some stuff but soon enough her heart would give in.

She continued walking in the hospital's hallway. "Well, can I still make it 'til college? Who knows there could be some miracles? I just need to halt some of my extracurricular activities like swimming, mountain climbing, and biking. No, not the hiking, I still want to do that activity."

She sighed. "Why now? What about my dreams? What am I supposed to do with my life? Everything would be useless. I will still soon die. Not even sure if I can really make it until my high school graduation." She had been thinking so deeply and getting more worried about her future.

"Baby, where have you gone?" Mrs. Manoban asked her daughter.

"Just everywhere, trying to have big plans ahead of me with my wonderful life. I wanted to live to the fullest, Mom. I don't want to regret in the end."

"Of course, Lisa we will support you in everything. And we will find you a good doctor. We will fly to Japan, next week to ask for a second opinion. If they still can't cure you then we'll fly to the US." Mr. Manoban's answered instead of his wife with a voice shaking.

"It's okay, Dad, Mom. Please do not waste more money with me. My health is really declining."

"Please don't give up, Lisa." Mrs. Manoban hugged her daughter tightly. She wished to keep her daughter but fate is just too cruel to them. "Both of us work hard day and night to have everything that you need. We will do our best. We will find the best doctor out there for you." She held her tears back. She news one she started crying then both Lisa and her husband would join her.

"Okay, I will still go over to whatever treatments are available for me. But can I request something? And please do not refuse my only request." She was looking at her parents with her pair of hopeful eyes.

"Tell us, Princess. Anything for you." Mr. Manoban asked.

"I want to live independently. I will not be going to drop out of high school. I wanted to live like a normal teenager. Well, I wish to go to college too. I wish to experience everything like a regular student."

"But that's not good for you. It is very stressful to attend classes."

"I will still have my treatment. This is all I am asking from you. This is my happiness. I will just drop some of my extracurricular activities. I am scared to wait until I die, mom."

"No, please don't say that Princess." Mrs. Manoban broke down in tears finally. How can she accept her only daughter's sake like this when she's their everything.

"Mom, I know I am dying why not let me go? I don't want to burden you anymore. I've been so sick ever since. I thought everything is going back to normal because I feel so okay. I don't want to get so frustrated as I wait for the day to come. I accepted my fate so please just let it go too." Lisa sounded defeated.

Her dad was so hurting hearing this from his only child. "Lisa,  listen to me. " He paused and looked at his wife lovingly. "Do you know when a woman's spouse died? she's called a widow. And when a man's spouse died, he's called a widower. Then when a child lost his parents, he's called orphaned. But when parents lost their child there's no term for it. So no amount of pain could measure our pain as your parents. Your Mom carried you in her womb for 9 months and we both raised you. We can't just let you die if we can have other options. This is not what I plan for your future. You will inherit all of our business. We work hard to prepare you for the world. We are not going to stop finding ways to help you get better, princess." Mr. Manoban explained

She hugged her father tightly and sobbed. Guilt overwhelmed her. "I'm so sorry, Dad. I'm so sorry for being selfish but please I am begging you. For the last time grant my only request. I will still keep in touch. And go to Japan for my treatment." She then turned to her Mom. "Please."

Mrs. Manoban nodded and gave her husband a nod of approval.

"Adopt Diana officially, Mom. Guide her as my replacement. I can't manage the company anyway. Sooner or later we all know the ending story of this. And I still wanted to go to college but I don't know how much time I have."

"Lisa," Mrs. Manoban wiped her daughter's tears. If you are really decided then your Dad and I will grant your request. But we will still make time for you. We are always here for you."

"We will support you all throughout, Princess. But please make sure you will take care of yourself more." Mr. Manoban agreed to his wife. 

"I'll ask the school principal about your condition and have someone to check on you from time to time. Please make some friends at school too so you will have some people to share your happiness with. Share your thoughts with them. And you know your Dad and I are always available. You can go home anytime. Diana will transfer to your school too. So when you needed her she'll just be around." Mrs. Manoban stated her terms and condition.

"Thanks, Mom, Thanks Dad. I love you so much. I really do. And I am grateful to have you both as my parents."