|CHAPTER THIRTEEN|

MARVOLO'S BIRTHDAY

"What?", Hazel asked playfully, "You thought I would forget your birthday?"

Marvolo had nothing to say to her.

It was New Year, 31st December. It was also Marvolo's birthday and Hazel was in the kitchen baking - yes baking, despite the number of elves in Slytherin manor.

According to her, huge parties and fancy gifts were no comparison to heartfelt gestures and presents. Hence, she herself, decorated their room, got his gift and begun to cook and bake for him. They would have a ball at Malfoy Manor for the New Years' Eve but that wouldn't start till 8pm. She had plenty of time and they could always go a bit later.

__________________________________

Marvolo, who had gone to the Ministry, returned home dog-tired. He called for Hazel but heard no reply. He called a house-elf who said, "Mistress Hazel has gone out."

Marvolo nodded and went to his room. He could not help but feel saddened that she was not there for his birthday. He had left when she was asleep with a note and was upset to see her gone. That man had no idea what was in store for him.

Marvolo got into the shower and changed. He was feeling a lot better and when he came out all fresh-

___________________________________

On hearing Marvolo's footsteps, Hazel quickly disillusioned herself and the decorations. Once he was gone into the washroom, she finished the final touches to the decorations and laid out the food and cake. She switched of all the lights and waited (AN : They are not medieval enough to use the candles. Just go with it for now)

Out came Marvolo and a shower of rose petals greeted him, forming a heart in front of him. He looked gobsmacked. His neatly carved expressionless face was, for once, filled with shock.

"W-W-Wha.. How? What is t-this", he finally uttered, taking note of the decorations.

There was a 'Happy Birthday Marvolo' written with rose petals on the bed, a small table and two chairs, balloons all over, 'Happy Birthday' written with gold and lots of steamers. The table was decorated with champagne bottles and a huge cake rested in middle.

"What?", Hazel asked playfully, "You thought I would forget your birthday?"

Marvolo was too stunned to answer.

"Come on, let's cut the cake. And don't you dare deny or something. It took me hours to bake it and prepare the food", she admonished him playfully, when she caught his gaze.

Marvolo let himself be dragged by her and saw the cake. It had icing roses, strawberries and pieces of kiwi in it. With sprinkles, Happy Birthday was written.

They cut the cake and had their lunch. It was, by far the best birthday Marvolo had ever had.

______________________________________

Once their hunger was sated, Marvolo asked Hazel for a dance. While they were swaying, he looked into her eyes and said, "Thank you Hazel."

He stopped at that, but she knew and she understood, and he knew that she understood.

__________________________________

Before starting getting ready for the Malfoys New year Eve, Hazel handed Marvolo two packages. He raised an eyebrow in question.

"Your birthday present, love"

Marvolo's heart fluttered. This was the first time she had addressed him as such. He said that it was not needed and that she had done enough for him. Her cold glare was enough to make him open the packages. How the hell did I, the Dark Lord, begin to get scared of one glare from this young woman?

He saw a heavy gold locket with emeralds and a silver diadem with diamonds and sapphires - the Locket of Slytherin and the Diadem of Ravenclaw.

He swayed and fell onto the divan.

She gently sat beside him, "Marvolo, these are your birth rights. I managed to get them out of Dumbledore's office. He can't keep your inheritable artefacts away from you."

Marvolo had nothing to say to her. He just pulled her close and hugged her tightly. She reciprocated.

"As long as they were together, no force on the Earth could separate them."

"She was like the wind. He could not always see or hear her, but he could always feel her!"

AN : I am extremely sorry about this short chapter. I'm too tired to do anything else today. There was a competition that I was anchoring. It went on for nearly three hours and it has taken up all of my energy. I shall update a longer chapter once I get time. Forgive me!

Stick with me,

Love,

Cierra