|CHAPTER SIXTEEN|

FINAL STEPS

"You look gorgeous, my love"

A strange smell and all went dark.

The final exams were over

The final exams were over. The sixth year students had given their apparition tests. Everyone in the school was happy - there was an End of Year Ball coming up. And yet, a certain group was very tense.

And why shouldn't they be? They had worked so hard, planned thoughtfully, been meticulous in ensuring every loophole was covered.

It was the night before the Ball. A young man, with a hood and mask, stealthily walked through the dark lanes. He was coming from the seventh floor.

After countless nights of frustration, the Vanishing Cabinet had been fixed....

The Death Eaters had been given entrance to the castle.

____________________________________

"Don't we look stunning", Luna chirped.

She was wearing a long, blue gown. Hermione was decked in a maroon gown, while Ginny wore a lilac coloured off shoulder gown.

Hazel was wearing a wine coloured, backless gown, with matching heels and an elaborate updo. She disliked having her hair up, but it was necessary - at least for tonight.

______________________________________

The boys were waiting at the entrance of the great hall. All of them dressed in sharp tuxedos. Strangely, all of them had their wands half hidden - half visible.

It was a very important night, after all...

____________________________________

"You look gorgeous, my love", Marvolo said, awestruck at Hazel's ethereal appearance.

She smiled and thanked him.

The smiles slid from both faces when they remembered the important task at hand.

Silently, they wished each other goodbye and shut their connecting mirrors.

_________________________________

"Congratulations to the seventh years for completing their years of schooling. You are ready to step into the world now!!!"

There was a huge round of applause.

"Also, congratulations to all students for completing yet another year at Hogwarts", Professor McGonagall continued.

"Tonight is to enjoy. Let the ball begin!"

Music began. Couples started going on the floor.

Hazel discreetly nodded at Severus.

CRACK!

There came a loud voice from the Headmaster's Tower.

Dumbledore and Snape ran to check. Minerva, Flitwick and Sprout tried to regain peace in the Hall.

It went unnoticed by the three teachers that two students were missing.

_________________________________________

Draco Malfoy, prided himself for being the perfect Slytherin. He was the perfect blend of charm, cunning and ambition. Currently he was standing near the Headmaster's office waiting to carry out his job.

_____________________________________

Severus and Albus reached the latter's office, wands in hand, hands outstretched.

A strange smell and all went dark.

In the darkness one hand caught the wand in another. A spell was muttered and a person was bound.

Another person, quietly slipped out.

_____________________________________

Hazel Potter had slipped out during the commotion to the Room of Requirement where the Dark Lord and his Death Eaters were waiting - waiting to be led out.

She and her friends had spent months repairing the Vanishing Cabinet and finally it was done.

She opened the cabinet and out stepped the most feared Death Eaters of the world - Bellatrix Lestrange, Rodolphus Lestrange and Rabastan Lestrange.

Lucius unfortunately had to remain home. He needed a real alibi.

Hazel did not notice the three Lestranges.

Her eyes were fixed on the man behind them.

Crimson eyes, dark hair, tall stature, fit body, pale skin, cologne and intoxicating power - her Marvolo stood in front of her, that same smirk playing on his lips.

"That same smirk which had stolen her heart away. Those eyes, on which her life depended, looked at her with love. She saw her lover, her fiancé, her Marvolo after such a long time..."

"The troops were ready, the trumpets sounded. The war had begun"