18: First Scout

Thanks for 3K readers!

Percy's pov:

We landed in a empty plot near the temple. I was quite surprised by the size of it. I actually thought the place would be a hole in the ground, but apparently a temple counts. Annabeth shrugged and ran out of the ship and in front of the temple.

"Careful," End warned Annabeth, but she just glared,

"Don't tell me what to do, you jerk," she sneered and started walking up.

"Stop, Annabeth. We're all a team, and we don't know the Maya culture." I said angrily. She stopped and jumped off, obeying me. I gave her a fake smile of gratitude and waited for the rest to get out. Once they did, we went closer to the temple.

"Something doesn't...feel right..." I said, looking all around the temple. It all seemed normal though, so I motioned them to start going.

"There!" I heard and whipped around. I saw a man and about 10 other men running to us with spears and all.

"Yield!" I shouted, they ran until they were 3 meters in front of us. They stopped and looked at me, almost expectantly.

"We are only here to look around. Not anything else." I said, to the the man in front. He seemed to be a leader.

"Fear. Do not go in." he said in a warning voice,

"Why?" I asked, carefully,

"Curses. Monsters. Ancient ones." He said, nodding his head in respect,

"We must, moron, what are you? Our guardian?" Hazel asked, annoyed. I shot her a glare,

"We are very grateful for the information you provided. We will be more cautious for these...supernatural beings...we are Greeks, demigods and a goddess," I motioned to the group, "there is great evil from the Greek gods in this temple, we are to destroy it before it can harm anything else." I explained. The man motioned his men to not use weapons.

"We are grateful for your notice on the evil in this temple. But we must warn you -- creatures of the Maya are in this temple. Not Greek or Aztec, or even Inca. Our ancestors of thousands of years have only seen this creature. This is why they abandoned the temple. You must not awake it, for it will destroy you all. Beware the vines," he said, as his men eyed the overgrown vines carefully.

"I am Percy, these are my ally's for destroying the enemy, what is your name?" I asked kindly,

"Amaru. Leader to the people. More of us are someplace else," he answered,

"Thank you for the information, Amaru," I said and did a small bow and looked at Annabeth and the rest, "You heard him! Don't touch the vines! Unsafe." I said and walked up the stairs, which were clear of any vegetation.

"Whoa, you really have steeped low, Persephone, trusting strangers," Piper said in disgust. I glared at her,

"I would much rather take a warning from a stranger who knows something about the temple and its history, rather than finding out myself. We don't know this temple, but Amaru gave us a warning not to touch the vines. Something about them clearly frightened them, so we should not want to test it ourselves." I said as Annabeth agreed with me,

"It is wiser to do so. We will avoid them and be careful, for all we know, they could kill us!" She said, I smiled gratefully at her.

After thanking Amaru, we made our way to the top of the temple, avoiding all the vines and being cautious of every step.

We made it up after a 5 minutes. The top wasn't cleaned up. There was a hole cave like entrance, with a hole going down. It didn't look very nice, but the prophecy clearly stated we had to. I looked around, noticing the entrance was narrow, but quickly expanded. It also had a few vines at the top.

I walked back to the group.

"Well, we'll be going down by rope." I stated, nervously. Jason laughed,

"We should call the Avengers. They have a load of great technology!" He said, happily, I face-palmed. So enthusiastic.

"Not such a bad idea, actually," Annabeth said.

Without a second thought, they called the Avengers. Anger boiled inside me, they are going to put more lives in risk!

I felt something crawling on my leg. I quickly moved my leg and took out a mortal-demigod (both metal) dagger. I saw nothing out of the ordinary, other than the vine being slightly closer to me.

It sent chills down my spine.

"Guys?" I said, but they didn't hear me. I noticed the vines tightening on the temple's walls and floor, while a strong wind started blowing.

"We should go down," Annabeth suggested, and walked to me, smiling, as if there was some sort of joke.

I nodded begrudgingly,

"Don't touch the vines," I reminded them. Piper laughed,

"You still think they said the truth? They could be Order's minions!" She laughed as we tied a rope on one of the posts.

End didn't seem to concerned or anything. She seemingly became less aware when we came here. I'm not sure what is going on, though. Could there be magic working on only demigods here? Ok. That's absurd. Never mind.

Jason slipped down with Annabeth right behind him. The rest of us made our way down. I was second to last, in front of End. Unlike them, I made my way down slowly. I started going down, and heard some sort of phone buzzing in one of the sides.

I looked there, but didn't touch the place. The rest didn't seem to notice.

The vines were dark in this non-lit tunnel, but I could see vibrating, closed, white flowers. They seemed to open slightly when the buzzing went on.

I narrowed my eyes but kept on going when End complained.

When I reached the bottom, I looked around noticing there were 3 narrow tunnels.

Annabeth pointed to the right one, shrugging.

We walked down the tunnel, which wasn't grown over with vines as the tunnel down was. It only had 1 or 2 vines with a few flowers, which were open, unlike before. I noticed there were a few empty doorways. I somehow expected Order to be anywhere. When we turned into the first doorway, I noticed it was a tomb. A really rotten tomb, at that. There was a skeleton with a hole in the chest, lying in a box. I think the person was sacrificed.

We went back to the center, where we all landed. This time we went into the left tunnel. Yikes, it was REALLY overgrown.

It was blocked about 10 meters in. I don't get it. Vines don't grow like that, unless it's a new specie. Or it's a monster, as I think. The men outside did warn us.

We went back to the center. Again. The vines seemed to be frozen, but were definitely going down when we weren't there.

"Hey...I think something's wrong...the vines --" I started, staring as a vine was slowly crawling to me, like a snake.

"Stop it already!" Annabeth rolled her eyes and turned to me, but quickly let out a terrified scream as she saw the vine which was crawling to me start clinging on my boot.

The vines quickly retrieved back 20 cm, as if shocked of the sudden noise, but all turned their ends to us, vibrating slightly, releasing a kind of shuffling noise, they moved toward us again. Just much more slower.

The noise sounded like a hiss.

Thanks for reading!

Please comment, vote, share and follow!