22: Escape...

Percy's Pov:

I stared at the place where Order kneeled a moment ago, then turned to Amaru.

"I believe we should get going. This temple isn't stable," I said, making them all turn to me. Amaru nodded to me, then to his men.

We went down the same tunnel. The vines had moved much closer to the entrance than before. Almost as if they were thirsting for the blood of the monsters. But that wouldn't make sense, they killed human like forms, not animals and monsters.

The phone buzz cut me off from my thinking.

"She will win the war. she will fade the evil power. She will go to the tunnels. They will be attacked. One of them will --" it abruptly stopped. I looked at Amaru, unsure. Die? Get Trapped? What?

My imagination could go anywhere like this, but it won't get me anywhere.

"Guys, stay close." I whispered, and took out my dagger, they nodded, not questioning me. I cautiously took steps forward, until we reached the rope, safely. Annabeth quickly started climbing, Jason following her close behind. I climbed after Amaru. Everything was going well. Maybe the phone couldn't read the future, or it was my imagination and thinking for the ending.

"Aaaah!" A blood curdling scream rang above me. I looked up to see a new figure in the wall of vines. 

The bushy hair. Chocolate skin. Hazel. 

"No! Hazel!" Frank cried out in despair, cutting the vines that attacked him,

"I-It's ok," she choked, "I-I n-never w-was m-meant t-to l-live t-this l-l-long, F-Frank. P-pl-please f-for-forgive m-me, P-Percy," She said, as pain and regret filled her voice. I nodded, biting my lip to not let out a sob, "get r-revenge, P-Percy. I-I love you, F-frank" she smiled sadly, as I saw the outline of a vine under her cheek skin,

"I love y-you t-too," Frank sobbed, holding Hazel's arm, his legs shaking, trying to hold him on the string. She smiled sadly and stroked his chin. 

Then she took a shaky breath in. Then out. Her hand fell from his face, her head rolled to the right. Her Hazel eyes dimmed as her eyelids closed. She paled in an unnatural speed. More vine outlines took place on her face.

Tears outlined my eyes, as I saw Frank cry in despair. Grabbing her hand.

"Bzz," a phone's buzz sounded. I took out the phone and saw,

"die," written in red font in the notification, "another will --" it said again, cutting off. I wouldn't be surprised if Frank would give up. Or die.

A tear rolled down my cheek as I climbed to the hight of Hazel. Her now pale, chocolate brown skin glimmering in the given light from the top. Vine lines all over her face. Her bushy hair spread out around the wall. 

"I-I c-can't," Frank said, staring at Hazel from above Amaru. 

"I know. It hurts. Trust me, I know." I said, more tears spilling from my eyes as I stared at the once  happy, full of life face of Hazel. 

"Forgive me for what we were forced to do. I never a-agreed, g-get r-rid o-of the g-gods for m-me," Frank said. I shook my head violently, knowing what he'll do next. 

Vines started rising, filling up the empty space under us.

"I forgive you. P-please, Frank, don't," I said, as a sob found it's way through my lips.

"Hazel would at least want you to live," Amaru said, tears rimming his eyes,

"I know. But I can't," Frank choked, "I at least can slow down the vines," 

"They will just tie you up," Amaru started,

"Not if there's fire." Frank said, pain, sorrow and anger burning in his eyes.

I bit my lip, as tears fell down my cheeks. 

He took a torch and put it on fire. Then jumped off from the rope into the lot of vines at the bottom. 

A screech was heard as the vines moved away, pulling Frank into the wall, and letting the torch go down. 

They hissed in unison, trying to take out the 5 small fires which took place. But to no succeed.

The phone buzzed again

"die," it said, "they will go through a column of fire," it read, then stopped. Bit back the tears as I dragged myself up. The fire picking the vines as fuel. 

It soon reached the top, just as a clueless Annabeth, Piper and Jason walked out. 

"Fire!" I heard Piper's scream. But I only heard it as an echo. As just another voice between the hissing.

"Forgive me," Hazel's voice rang out, just as she said it before.

"I never agreed to it," Frank's voice echoed, "don't give up,"

"I always loved you like a sibling, Percy," Hazel's smile crossed my mind, as I fought back the pain and feeling of needles from the flames.

10 meters to the top. 

The body who had the phone. Her body fell, as the vines hissed away from her body. A man's body, next to her's, fell after.

8 meters to go.

I felt the fire's heat close to my arms. I felt it's seething pain. It was like sizzling. But it felt worse.

6 meters to go.

I growled with teary eyes as I cut off the vine next to me viciously.

3 meters to go.

Pain erupted in my chest as the reminder of Hazel and Frank came to my mind. 

2 meter to go.

My hands trembled, trying to pull me up.

1 meter to go.

I pulled my remaining strength to the top of the rope, as smoke from the flames shot up behind me. 

I was engulfed in black smoke, as it choked me from the inside. I climbed out of the hole, tears, cuts and burns littering my face. 

My feet trembled as they failed to hold me. I took a tiered breath in, and fell down, pain engulfing my entire body.

Then I blacked out, seeing a shocked and confused Piper in front of me, screaming,

"Wake up! Please!"

Thanks for reading. 

I actually tried to keep the style of writing sad and dramatic as I wrote the climbing up. 

Please comment, vote, share and follow.