13

An Chang Qing slept soundly all the way till dawn. When the winter sun pierced through the screen and landed on his face, he jolted up and the first words from his mouth were, "Is An Chang Qi dead?"

Xiao Zhige just happened to come back from his morning practice. His footsteps quietened as he entered the room, "He died in the middle of the night."

An Chang Qing took in his answer and murmured his complaint, "Why didn't you wake me up last night?"

"You were asleep. It wasn't anything important," Xiao Zhige responded.

By now, An Chang Qing was familiar with Xiao Zhige's unstated words. He understood that Xiao Zhige must've thought that An Chang Qi's death had been determined and did not see the need to wake him up.

Putting the matter behind, An Chang Qing got up and washed. After having Anfu assist him in changing, he asked, "Have they sent someone to deliver the news?"

Right as he asked, Steward Wang came in with a servant boy from the An Manor.

The servant had a piece of white linen over his waist. He bowed and relayed the news that An Chang Qing had been expecting.

An Chang Qing said that he would attend the funeral and sent the servant back.

.....

The funeral was in seven days and An Chang Qing was not going to let his mother's illness drag out that long. After the third day of An Chang Qi's wake, he arranged everything before going to the An Manor with Tie Hu and Hu Shi Fei.

The visit to the An family this time was a steep contrast from the last time he was here. Maybe it was because of the chanting and mourning in the West courtyard that the whole mansion seemed to be covered in a dark cloud.

The servant boys and girls were all wearing a piece of white linen and had their eyes downcast. Even Madame Li was wearing plain clothes and looking haggard.

On his way to Rainbow Garden, An Chang Qing passed by the ominous West Courtyard. He glanced inside and saw several monks sitting cross-legged while chanting unintelligibly. Madame Sun had disheveled hair and a haggard-looking face. She was kneeling in prayer and when she lifted her head, her eyes met with An Chang Qing's.

On the day of his homecoming, he had already locked horns with the second branch and hence, did not bother to put up a polite front. When their eyes met, An Chang Qing paused his step and nodded lightly.

But Madame Sun's eyes widened. She got up abruptly and charged at him while screaming, "Whore! Give me back my son!"

An Chang Qing was unfazed. He stood in place as Madame Sun closed in. As she was just two steps away, she was held back at the neck by Tie Hu. She continued to struggle but Tie Hu did not relent. Even towards a lady, he did not hesitate when he kicked her at the back of her knee, forcing Madame Sun to kneel down. He exclaimed forcefully, "You're supposed to show your respect before Wangfei!"

Madame Sun was still resisting. She glared at An Chang Qing with bloodshot eyes and shouted furiously, "Just you wait! Retribution will befall you!"

An Chang Qing looked down at her and laughed, "I didn't kill him. Why would I get retribution?"

"If it wasn't for you, my son would not have died!" His denial aggravated her anger. If she wasn't held back by Tie Hu, she would've avenged her son with her own hands.

"I thought Wangye had made it clear the last time. Hadn't I interceded, An Chang Qi would not have lived past the last two days," An Chang Qing raised his brows, "If I wanted him dead, why would I risk going against Wangye just to plead for him?"