53

The Xi Wei Empire stood to the west of Da Ye. It was established by Xue Chang, one of the founding Great Generals of Da Ye at that time, in collaboration with the Xi Wei tribes. Xue Chang had then later turned his back against the Xi Wei natives by suppressing them and deeming them as less than livestock. This was the current state of the Xi Wei Empire.

At present, although the country was still called Xi Wei, the one that truly held power was the Xue Clan. As the previous Emperor died early, his successor was the only son he had had, Xue Zhi. And because Xue Zhi was still a child, the previous Emperor had decreed for the Prime Minister, Xue Wu Yi, to be the regent in order to assist the boy.

Mighty as his title, Prime Minister Xue Wu Yi had actually come from a lowly background. He was a beggar whom the Emperor had met by chance and decided to take him in. Later, when the Emperor had discovered that he was a highly gifted individual, he had adopted him as his son. He had also let him take the surname Xue and had ordered for him to be taught.

It was said that before the age of 10, Xue Wu Yi was already capable of debating with the officials in court with his unique political views. By the age of 16, he was inaugurated by the Emperor as the Prime Minister without any objections from the court.

Ten years from the time the late Emperor entrusted his son to him, Xue Wu Yi had taken charge of every aspect of the court with ruthlessness and ingenuity, making Xi Wei the strong and stable country that it currently was.

And, Shang Que, the Commander of the Northern Garrison was his most capable right-hand man.

Having Shang Que mobilize his troops this promptly only showed how much weight Xi Wei had placed in obtaining these two jade mines.

The group gathered in Xiao Zhige's study while a guard was ordered to watch the door.

Xiao Zhige began, "How did this get out? You have a spy on your side?"

The smiling Chang Zai Cang's face was now filled with dread, "I was too lax with the people around me. The spy has been found and I will personally deal with him once this matter is solved!" Only then did Chang Zai Cang look less of a scholar and more like a general.

Xiao Zhige was not surprised, "I will discuss this with the Xi Wei Empire. After that, since you are responsible for the leak, we'll split it by 8-2, I'll take 8 and you 2."

Chang Zai Cang was wide-eyed, "You're too evil! No way! I have to get at least 4 shares or there's no deal!"

Xiao Zhige smirked, "I have yet to settle scores with you regarding the fake news you sent me when you were in Yejing."

"When did I ever send you..." Chang Zai Cang stopped and wondered about his statement. Once he had figured it out, he quickly glanced at An Chang Qing and argued, "It was all for your own good. If I didn't motivate you, you would never have taken any actions. Come to think of it, shouldn't you be thanking me instead?"

An Chang Qing listened to their bickering and knew that their conversation had something to do with him. He tried to figure out the details but the two were speaking in codes.

Xiao Zhige said in an assertive tone, "Don't try to be clever with me. 8-2 or else, you'll get nothing."

Chang Zai Cang clicked his tongue and frowned, "Wait wait wait, let me reconsider!"

AdvertisementsREPORT THIS AD

If anyone else from the Xi Wei Empire had come to fight for the mines, Chang Zai Cang would not have had this headache. But it just had to be Shang Que, the powerhouse of the Xi Wei Garrison. He was a Xi Wei aborigin who was born with incredible strength. No one knew how Xue Wu Yi was able to make this mighty man do all his bidding.