57

It was true that Xue Wuyi did not need to intercept the envoys from Zaiguo to Yejing because there was someone else who cared more for An Chang Qing's safety.

The secret treasure of the Xi Wei Empire lies in the person in the painting who happens to resemble An Chang Qing. Regardless of whether Emperor An Qing was interested or not, anyone who heard of this would want to get a hold of An Chang Qing.

And it mattered not if Xiao Zhige believed Xue Wuyi's letter entirely, he would still do everything in his power to prevent Xi Wei's envoy from reaching Yejing alive.

So by offering Xiao Zhige this piece of information, it not only helped him solve a serious problem but also allowed him to get on the Northern Warlord's good side.

And Xue Wuyi's decision was absolutely right. Xiao Zhige will never tolerate anything or anyone putting An Chang Qing's safety on the line.

....

The message was delivered by Xue Wuyi's personal maid accompanied by the portrait.

The maid told him that the person in the painting looked exactly like An Chang Qing but with a quick glance, Xiao Zhige could tell that the person in the painting was definitely not An Chang Qing.

The person in the painting had longer and narrower eyes and thinner lips, making him look cold and distant. Even the mole under his left eye could not neutralize this sense of aloofness.

The painting alone was enough to give him an unapproachable feeling, very much unlike his Nuo Nuo whose looks embodied warmth and kindness.

Xiao Zhige observed the painting without making any comments. 

Ji Xue couldn't help but follow up, "My master told me to pass this message to Wangye: As long as he still breathes, the Xi Wei Empire will never be Da Ye's enemy."

Xiao Zhige held his hands to his back and thought for a long time before giving her an answer, "Go back and relay this to your master, regarding his previous proposition, this lord agrees."

He then pointed to the portrait and said, "I suppose this is a replica. I'll be keeping it."

The portrait was indeed an imitation drawn by Xue Wuyi while the original scroll was hidden away. Ji Xue bowed and retreated soundlessly, leaving the painting behind.

Xiao Zhige stayed in place, sinking into deep thoughts while looking at the portrait. He was doubtful that Xue Wuyi would create such a ridiculous tale just to win a favor from him. If so, then this portrait and the secret treasure of Xi Wei were highly credible.

As for the resemblance between An Chang Qing and the person in the picture, the most likely clue would be from An Chang Qing's maternal family. The An family had its roots in Yejing from the beginning of their ancestry, it was impossible that they would have any relationship with Xue Chang or the Xi Wei Empire. As such, An Chang Qing's maternal family would provide a plausible connection.

However, Lady Yu came from a brothel, her parentage was unknown...

With a plan in mind, Xiao Zhige carefully put the portrait away. He quickly wrote a letter and had it delivered with haste.

Once everything was arranged, Chang Zai Cang arrived to ask about the jade mines.

AdvertisementsREPORT THIS AD

When Chang Zai Cang heard that Xi Wei was willing to give up the jade mines without a fight, he was in disbelief, "Why do I feel as though there's something going on that I'm unaware of?"

Xiao Zhige raised his eyes and said to him, "There's much that you're unaware of. You only need to man the mines. And as agreed, I'll be taking 70% of the profit."