18

After An Chang Qing had said his piece, the hall was in dead silence. The palace attendants all held their breaths and dared not look up.

"Nonsense!" The Empress Dowager clutched the bodhi beads and pounded on the table with adequate strength to make a faint thud.

The Empress also showed a worried expression, almost like a mother who was truly concerned about her son. She looked at An Chang Qing and said, "Your marriage was fairly recent, it's natural for you to reject good-intentioned meddling. I understand that but Chang Qing, you're a man after all and it's detrimental that Zhige continues his heritage. If you both do not like it, I'll pick someone for you and after she has given birth, you can always send her away. It won't cause any hindrance to your relationship."

"... What do you two think?"

Although her words were aimed at the pair, the Empress's eyes were solely focused on An Chang Qing.

An Chang Qing returned her gaze with an earnest look. The hand that was hidden under his sleeve harshly pinched his thigh until his eyes were bright red with tears forming. Even so, he kept his gaze straight and began to sob, "It's not like that, Wangye promised me..."

An Chang Qing turned and looked at Xiao Zhige with tears in his eyes, "Wangye had promised to treat me well and in this life, there'll only be the two of us..."

"Was that a lie? Does Wangye also want to have a concubine who can bear your child?"

Kneeling on the ground with a straight back, An Chang Qing looked like a small tree shivering in the cold winter while refusing to give up. With a desperate look in his eyes, no one would doubt the feelings of this lovelorn young man.

The Empress decided against confronting An Chang Qing and changed her focus to Xiao Zhige instead.

Xiao Zhige's eyes were frozen as he clenched his hands, seemingly stunned by the turn of events. He stood up and went over to help An Chang Qing up and comforted him, "I did not lie to you."

"I will not take in a concubine... Nor will I have children... With other women."

Xiao Zhige's voice was strong and adamant; it resonated throughout the hall. The Empress observed him for a while before exchanging glances with the Empress Dowager. She then masked her emotions with a look of slight dissatisfaction and said, "Zhige, why are you this disobedient? Although I did not give birth to you, you're still raised by me. If you do not have an heir, how could I face your late mother?"

Xiao Zhige's eyes flickered at the mention of his mother. He lowered his eyes and collected his emotions, "I know my wrong but I really have no interest in women."

"You... hai..." Seeing them like a pair of desolate mandarin ducks, the Empress sighed, "Alright. You're all grown up, I can't control you anymore."

The Empress Dowager raised her gaze and continued to turn the bodhi beads, "It's fine that you don't like women but an heir is a must. If you can't have children then adopt one to keep any more rumors from spreading. Don't you think that there's already enough gossip circulating?"

There was no change in Xiao Zhige's expression. He simply knelt beside An Chang Qing and said, "Thank you for your grace. In a few years, if we are to find a suitable child, we will adopt him."

"That's good. Let the Empress assist you with looking out for any outstanding children," the Empress Dowager waved her hand, "I'll take my leave now, you both can go to the Empress's place."

"Yes."

.....

After leaving Kun Yi Palace, An Chang Qing heaved a long sigh. Seeing that the Empress was walking way ahead of them, he secretly winked at Xiao Zhige. Having just cried, An Chang Qing's eyes were slightly tainted with a red hue, making his current expression both pitiful and mischievous. Xiao Zhige was rather helpless remembering the scene of his crying while questioning him.