Chapter 8: Missing soul

Germany-1915
~
Y/N and Reich have been chatting in the huge old bedroom. He said it was his grandfather's, Holy Roman Empire? His father locked up the room once Holy was long dead from the Napoleonic War. But now that it's open thanks to Y/N's curiosity, the two soldiers are now chatting like there's no tomorrow.

After a while of laughing and drinking alcohol, did I mention Reich brought in beer to the room? Anyways after a while, a knock was heard from the smaller room that was connected to the Holy's room. Reich, in his drunken state, groans like a child and gets up. He mumbled under his breath and marched to the door that was in Prussia's room.

Y/N sat at the dusty old wooden table that sat in the middle of the old elegant chamber. Y/N still wore the old clean uniform. Sure, it belonged to a dead guy, but at least it's comfy. Actually, too comfy to take off, though. Y/N does have to take it off once they go back to the front lines.

They stared at the glass that was filled with clear amber liquor. It gleamed from the small light the shun through the old curtains that were blocking the tall windows. It felt like forever since Reich left the table to deal with something, gazing around Y/N started messing around with old junk with a glass of alcohol still in their gloved hands. They tried out weapons like swords, shields, battle axes, guns, spears, etc. They even tried on a crown and acted like a drunk ruler of Germany... well, actually, they were drunk.

Reich came back after centuries of chatting with someone from the other room. Y/N held onto the commanders waist and glee, seeing that he's finally back.

"It felt like you were gone for centuries! I was dying from boredom thinking when you'll come back!" Y/N whined, their grip around Reich's waist tighten, which in response made the commander smile.

"Oh, I won't leave you again, Liebling~ I promise~." He said, Reich set his drink down and lifted the soldiers chin up with his free hand. He was going to lean in for a kiss, but the noise of another knock from Prussia's room was heard making Reich curse in German. The commander left the soldier in a blushing state now, realizing they're not holding onto Reich's waist anymore. Y/N flops onto the old king-sized bed and curled up under the soft, large Crimson blanket, their eyes closing, and they blackout.
~

Y/N woke up from their nap. Their head was in pain from the alcohol. I guess they couldn't handle their drinks. The soldier looks around to see the room they were once in was now pitch black with only the moonlight liting the room a bit. Y/N felt arms around their body and turned their head to see their commander sleeping beside them. His face was covered in their shoulder, and his hands were on both sides of the young soldiers' waist.

What's worse is that he was shirtless. The young soldier could see every single scar that was on his body. It made them blush seeing their commander like this. They carefully got his rough hands off of their waist.

"What are you doing...?" A raspy rough voice asked, Y/N turned around and saw their commander awake.

"I thought you were asleep.. sorry, commander- erm.. I mean Reich." Y/N looks away, their face still blushing. They earned a small chuckle from Reich, and the empire sat up and stretched his limbs.

"We're heading back to the battlefield tomorrow morning with a few Austrian soldiers coming to aid us against the French and British." Reich said. He groans and rests his head in the palms of his hands.

"What about the Russian front?" Y/N asked, they're fighting against Russia, right? Shouldn't your commander be worried about them aswell?

"We're heading there a week after we go back to the French battlefield. You'll have to say goodbye to Gunther and Felix. They won't be coming with us." Reich responded. He rested his head down on the soft Crimson pillow his grandfather used long ago.

"Do.. you miss them?" Y/N asked, they wanted to change the subject. The thought of being split from their friends for more than a few days is a nightmare. Maybe something else would take their mind off, like Reich's family members.

"Holy Roman Empire and Prussia? Sure, I miss them. They were hard on me, but I missed them. Especially Prussia, he's the one who raised me and taught me everything I know. I have to do the samething with my own heir too." Reich responded again. Wait a minute. Heir? He has kids???

"You have kids???" Y/N questioned, which made Reich laughed. The soldier sat beside their commander in silence.

"Yes, I have two sons," he smiled and stared at the old ceiling above "no mother though. She's dead, gone, no longer here in this damn world of ours." He said.

"What happened to her?"

Reich smile disappeared, and he sighed, "Let's just say abandoning an heir to a throne is punishable by death. The kids didn't even know they had a mother in the first place."

Y/N lie down beside their commander, and the two of them stared at the ceiling together in silence before Reich broke the silence again. "I didn't choose you to be my right hand because of your looks and personality. But mainly because you're skilled and you're a fast learner, I'm glad to have you here, Y/N." Reich said. He turned his head to the young soldier and softly smiled at them.

Y/N cheeks heat up. They were going to thank Reich, but they were cut off.

"I love you, Y/N."