Chapter 38: Hieroglyphs

Egypt - 51 BCE
~

WHIP!

Y/N's eyes shot open by the sudden noise, they whipped their head up and around and saw that they were in the desert now. They look down to see they're now wearing dirty peasant clothes... how wonderful. All they remembered was Third walking towards the bed while the German twins huddled against their sides.

Y/N got up and stumbled a bit. They saw their hand glitch a bit again like before. Did Whirl make a mistake...? Maybe???

"Hey! What do you think you're doing? To help the other workers!" A superior yelled, Y/N hesitated a bit before going off. They weren't exactly sure what to do, so they decided to go over to a few workers who had stones in the wagon.

"Um, hey! If you don't mind me asking but.. what are we doing exactly?" Y/N asked nervously. The workers stared at them before answering.

"I guess you're new, anyways we're building a statue in honor of Cleopatra." One of the workers said he let out a nervous chuckle. "What's your name? I'm Khons, the guy next to me is Asim, and this little gal holding vase of water is my sister Dalila." The other guy was tending to the stones while the small girl happily smiled at Y/N as she held the vase in her small arms.

"I'm Y/N. Nice to meet you all. Do you mind if I help you?"

"Sure! More hands, the merrier! The heat has been harsh, and with me and Asim, getting the stones by ourselves is hard enough." Khons chirped as he started to go back to work by grabbing more stones. The three workers chatted.. mostly Y/N and Khons, Asim wasn't much of a talker, and sometimes the guards would yell at Khons and Y/N to shut up once in a while.

"With this whole nile thing and upper and lower Egypt, it gets annoying, especially when you get worked to the bone." Khons sighed, Y/N's arms started to ache after lifting so many stones into the wagon, and now they have to pull it to the working place to get the statue built.

Y/N was helping other workers pull the big thick stones when they heard the sound of people gathering around, mostly soldiers, but Y/N was curious to see what was going on. The peasant excused themselves and went over to the crowd. They saw that a carriage arrived.

'Who's in there..?' Y/N thought they were about to go back to work when all of a sudden two people came out from the carriage. One was tall and bulky and wore Pharoah clothes while the other was skinny with wonderful curves and wore gold and jewels.

They must be upper and lower Egypt, the lady looks around while the guy talked to the guards. She saw a glimpse of Y/N but decided to focus on the progress of the statue. She walked beside the construction as she watched the peasants pull stones and sculpt them for statues and temples.

Y/N snuck to Khons and Asim, and they saw that Dalila was giving water to the workers who were working their asses off supporting the kingdom.

"What is she doing..?" Y/N whispered to Khons, the skinny fellow looks at the lady who was slowly walking and gazing at the construction that was happening.

"I think she's looking for a set of new servants, if we work hard, she might notice us and take us in. We'd be lucky!" Khons chirped again. He went back to work by giving the carvers stones while Asim was getting more stones. Y/N helps out Khons, the thought of the lady started to fade as they lifted stones over and over.

After what felt like forever, a soft voice was heard, which caught both Y/N's and Khons' attention. "Excuse me? If you're not busy, may I speak with you?"

The two look behind themselves to see the same lady, her jewelry gleaming along with the gold she wore, and the clothes she wore look soft and comfy yet elegant.

"What may we help you with your highness?" Y/N asked nervously. They can feel Khons having a nervous breakdown as he didn't respond at all except stare at the elegant women in front of him.

"I can't help but see that you two were amazing at providing the sculptures, I was wondering if you'd like to come?" She asked. Her gaze was soft and welcoming that it warms your heart.

"Well, I mean, that's a wonderful offer, but we have other workers who work harder than us.." Y/N chuckles it makes them more nervous that they felt a few eyes on them.

"Well, my brother has told me I could have a few servants, so I thought to take you two." The lady giggles, and she smiled softly at the two workers. Khons cleared his throat before finally speaking.

"I have two more people who might help around the palace, your majesty. Asim is a hard worker when it comes to physical work, and Dalila is a kind and wonderful girl to have by your side." Khons suggested Y/N knows that he wants his family to be happy and safe instead of suffering out here in the harsh desert condition.

The lady looked at Khons a bit surprised, she smiled again as she thought for a while. Khons sweated more as he didn't know what was running through the country's mind. She clapped her hands together as she looked up at the two workers with the same smile plastered on her face.

"I'll take them." She said softly, Khons let out a sigh of relief. The lady gathered Asim, Dalila, Khons, and Y/N in a small group, and she walked to the crowd where she stopped in front of her brother.

"These four!" She gestured her hand towards the group, and the bulky man glared at them.

"Very well, they'll be taken to the palace where they will receive a bath and new clothes." He sighed, his voice was deep and rough it was surprisingly deeper than Reich's. Oh, how Y/N missed that soothing voice of his.

The two superiors got into the carriage, and it started to move to where the palace was at. The group follows after the carriage, and Y/N looks behind them at the construction, continuing their work. It hurts them to know those people suffer from building, lifting, and pulling all day. Hopefully, being a servant would be better.

Twisting Past: Old Countryhumans X ReaderOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara