Chapter 46: Home

Germany-1942
~

Y/N stayed with Gunther and the kids for a while, building up their strength and energy to head back to the Soviet Union. The old man enjoyed Y/N's company, and when the time came, he packed up food for Y/N and made sure that they were ready to leave before they did.

Looking back for one more time, seeing Gunther, Felix, and Maria waving goodbye at them as they stood at the hill before descending downwards towards their home.

Y/N packed up clothes, food, some weapons Gunther let them keep, and a map. They were strong and energetic for the journey awaiting them.
~

The soldier dropped their bag before flopping down onto the leaf-piled ground. It's not the best bed, but they're not complaining. It's better than most beds they slept in... except HRE's bed.

"I have a long way to go, but this is progress... and I hope things won't go wrong soon." Y/N sighed, staring up at the starry sky above. With some comets flying past the earth.

"I'm coming home, Soviet."

Turning onto their side and curling up, they shut their eyes and fall asleep peacefully as the forest softly made noises with Owls hooting and crickets chirping.
~

It's been a few days, and they're making progress on returning to the motherland. They just recently entered Poland yesterday, only a week or so until they make it home.

Actually,' temporary home' they've almost forgotten about their real home. Their apartment, their pet, their friends, and their family. Will HE take you back after all this is over?

It's best to hope that HE will, HE has to. HE ate their chips after all and took them on this journey, HE has to pay them back for all HE has done.

They stopped in their tracks, seeing a crumbled town. Ruined by the harsh clash of the war. Slowly walking in the beaten town, they scavenged anything that could help them. Including clothes from dead soldiers.

Y/N walked into one house, burnt and almost on a brink of collapsing. They roam around and expect anything for useful items or food. They come across a room, untouched almost. They go through the drawers and desk only to find an envelope.

No one is around... so let's see what's inside. They carefully opened the envelope and took out a letter.

'Dear Gunther,

It's been ages since I last saw you. We were on the battlefield together during the Great War. Fighting the enemies, I almost forgot about Felix and our lieutenant. They were amazing, don't you agree? I miss them a lot. We used to come around the campfire and sing, tell stories, and laugh at our antiques. Even in the harsh times of war, there's always something or someone to brighten your day to forget all your troubles and sorrow. I hope to see you soon. Perhaps we can sit down and drink some tea and catch up on life.

Sincerely, Ludwig Németh'

A tear slipped through their eye as they read through the letter. This was Ludwig's house. He never got the chance to send this letter. They folded up the letter and put it in their pocket. They want to hold on to something that reminds them of their old friends.

This war is going to end, and you'll get out of here. Whether that demon likes it or not... because they know HE'S hiding something from them...