Chapter 9: Luster

Germany-1915
~

Y/N lie there speechless, what do they say??? 'I love you too???' Or 'Sorry, I'm already with someone,' which would be a lie, though. They're single Pringle ready to mingle, though they're not sure it would be with their own commander. He favors them, which would be a problem in the military for sure.

"Y/N?"
They snap back to reality, realizing they've been silent for a while after Reich confessed to them.

"Sorry, commander, I was just.."

"Thinking, yeah, I understand that. I mean, who would expect something like that from me?" Reich chuckles. He rolled on his side as he faced the Prussian door that belonged from the other room.

"Goodnight, Y/N."
~
After a few hours of Y/N staring at the old cracked ceiling, I was still surprised by what happened earlier. They looked over at their commander and stared at his back, feeling a bit cold. They scooted closer to him and wrapped their arms around his warm body.

Resting their cheek on Reich's warm back, they closed their eyes and drifted off to sleep in the dark moonlit room.
~
The sound of birds chirping and the dim light of the rising sun lit the room just a bit. Y/N heard some shuffling, and the feeling of the warmth they've been hugging left them.

They felt their commanders' rough hands shaking their shoulder, Y/N groans and mumbles, "Five more minutes..."

Reich chuckles a bit and shakes his head, "C'mon Y/N, we have to go back to the battlefield. Remember what I said last night?" He said. Y/N slowly opened their eyes only to see Reich changing into his uniform, mostly for his upper body since he's already wearing his pants.

Blushing from the sight, Y/N covered their face with the Crimson soft blanket. "Also Y/N don't forget to change into your old uniform. You can't be wearing an elegant uniform to the battlefield and ruin it." Reich said, Y/N nodded from under the blanket and slid off the bed. Grabbing their uniform from the other room, the two soldiers walk out and head out.

Austria-Hungary stood at the entrance of the big dark wooded doors. Reich went over and chatted with his ally, earning chuckles and laughs. Afterward, the three soldiers walk out of the mansion, heading to their rides. Both countries wish their comrades good luck. Y/N smiled a bit, but it was ruined when someone bumped into them from behind.

"Oh, I'm sorry, lieutenant! I didn't mean to bump into you!" A soldier said. He looked young and nervous. Maybe the same age as Y/N, who knows at this point its war.

"No, it's find, what's your name private?" Y/N asked, the soldier stood tall and saluted.

"I'm Ludwig from Austria-Hungary! I'm here with my fellow soldiers to help you at the French fronts!" Ludwig said, Y/N pats their back and smiled at the young soldier.

"Nice to meet you Ludwig, do you want to ride with the commander and I? I'm sure he wouldn't mind." Y/N asked, Ludwig eyes shimmer and nodded. The two soldiers got inside and waited for Reich. And once Reich got inside, he paused at the sight of Y/N and Ludwig chatting and laughing.

He glared at the two but decided to look away and just stare outside the windows. He didn't feel like this when Y/N hung out with Gunther and Felix, maybe because Ludwig was new or at the young soldiers' age where they could relate to similar things.

"You're going to love meeting Gunther and Felix! Hey, maybe you can join us in poker at some point!" Y/N said, Ludwig laughs a bit and nods.

"That would be lovely lieutenant! Can't wait to see them!"