Feelings Realized, but Elsewhere - Male!Nijigasaki Idols x Reader

A/N: Hello, my lovelies! This chapter was set to be posted about two or three days ago, but I've been feeling a bit under the weather lately, think I'm coming down with a cold or something. Anyways, I hope you guys enjoy this chapter, I personally put a lot of time and thought into it. So I sincerely hope you all enjoy! Been thinking about turning these specific tropes for the Nijigasaki boys into a little series! With that said, read on!

~

  He wondered when it actually happened. When these feelings for you arose in him. The whole group adored you, he knew that much, but that was on the level of normal companionship at which they adored you.  For some reason, he had a deep feeling that his adoration towards you was a bit different.  He can still remember the moment when he realized quite vividly.

  • Kai Asaka

  It was right before his first performance at Diver Fes when Kai was alone with you.  At that point, he hadn't gotten to be around you much, what with the idol club giving you and Yu so much work.  In hindsight, this lack of company really didn't have any reason to go noticed by him, but it did.  However, he hadn't meant to bring it up—at all.  Kai designated the reason for your rather obvious avoidance of him to be because you were intimidated by his title as a moderately famous model.  But that was fine, he resolved.  After all, he was used to it; there was a reason that Emmett was his only close friend.  However, that had been one of the reasons he enjoyed being a part of the Nijigasaki school idol club in the first place, the fact that no one in the club really cared that he was a model.  Except for you, it seemed.

  He tried not to let it get to him; this was to be expected.  Kai couldn't expect every single person apart of the club to be totally comfortable with him.  There were eleven members in the club; he should have been grateful that most of the members were comfortable around him.  Yet, as he attempted to calm himself down in time for his first performance as an idol, he decided that he wanted to do something about this distance you put between the pair of you.  After all, who wouldn't feel empowered to do bold things after the pep talk that all of his fellow club members gave him backstage at Diver Fes?

  You had been walking away with the others to join them in the audience.  Kai nearly forgot to reach out and stop you due to the adrenaline pumping in his veins, key word being nearly.

  "Y/N-san." You swiveled around with surprise apparent in your expression. "May I speak with you for a moment?" You stopped for a moment and blinked, before nodding slowly.  This evoked a pleased smile on Kai's face.  At the time, Kai hadn't noticed the obvious redness in your cheeks, nor had he noticed the shy glint in your eyes.  Later on, Kai would think that this obliviousness on his part to be funny, especially since spotting bashful actions in secret admirers had always been his forte.  Until you came along, that is.

  You fidgeted in your place and stepped in front of Kai. "Yes, Asaka-san?"

  Kai took a slow breath and ruminated upon his thoughts briefly.  He was set to go onstage in five minutes; he didn't have time for a long conversation to clear up misunderstandings surrounding your relationship.  So, he'd have to think of something to get his point across quickly.  Finally, he settled upon, "Call me Kai from now on."

  Your eyes widened a fraction, and your heart bloomed wildly in your chest, unbeknownst to him. "Huh..? But—,"

  "We're colleagues—friends—are we not?" Kai continued. "I'd like for us to be closer from now on."

  You registered his words and expression carefully, before a small smile graced your lips. "Okay then. Kai."

  Kai didn't know why; but his adrenaline increased at record time, and he felt more than ready to go onstage and show the world what he could do.  To show you what he could do.  With a wide smile and determined nod, Kai bid you a wordless goodbye and rushed for preparations at the announcement of his name by the stage hands.  As he performed, Kai finally came to an awe-urging epiphany.  He realized why he had cared so much when you acted distantly towards him, and he also realized why he was so excited at the idea of you calling his name casually from that day forward.  He had feelings for you, feelings that went deeper than friendship.