The Village Hidden in the Sun - Male!Muse (Naruto!AU)

You stared into the night sky, back lain against the hissing grass of the training grounds. Your chest rose and fell with every heavy breath you took. You had half a mind to abandon your training for the night; after all, the weather was so windy, and it felt so nice. It would be easy to just let your eyes fall for a nice sleep under the stars. However, thoughts of your fellow hardworking ninja passed through your mind, and you forced yourself to rise back up. You couldn't fall behind!

You couldn't fall behind...not when Hotaka, one of your teammates from your genin days, was training under the intensive care of your former sensei. The last time you remembered seeing him was a few weeks ago in the marketplace. He had seemed broader, even then, and his face was covered in little scratches, bruises, and scars. But his smile had been so radiant.

No, you couldn't fall behind...not when Ukyo, another of your former teammates, was traveling the Land of the Sea with his aunt. He had left some time ago; it had probably already been a year. But even then, you knew that Ukyo was committing everyday to perfecting his special water monster style jutsu, a signature of his famous Sonoda clan lineage.

You definitely couldn't fall behind...now when Kotoba, the last of your former teammates, was spending day and night at the hospital, training to be the best medical ninja he could be. You knew that Kotoba had always had the hardest time looking for his aspirations; however, it didn't take long for him to realize that he wanted to help people in any way he could, both behind hospital curtains and at the frontlines in battle.

Oh man, and how could you forget your younger colleagues? Ren, Hayato, and Mako had all become chūnin that year, passing the exams with flying colors. Inevitable, you thought, as the three of them made a dangerous trio. With Mako's heightened vision and intense genjutsu (attributed from his position as heir to the Sharingan-bearing Nishikino family), Ren's sporadic and catlike taijutsu, and Hayato's amazing chakra control and leveled ninjutsu, the three of them were beasts in the making. Now that you thought about it, asking them to help you train wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Then there're your older colleagues, the actual beasts. Eliot, having been trained under his Hokage grandmother, was being reared and set up to be the next Hokage himself. His special katana style, charged by his own chakra, left many trembling with blood trailing down their bodies. His right hand man, Noboru, was an expert with summoning jutsus and a holder of some of the deadliest animals in the ninja world, including a hypnotizing cobra! Niko completed this beastly trio; while he may seem small and common, he was anything but. After an unfortunate turn of events, a dear friend gifted Niko with the ability to withhold the Sharingan. However, he abstained from using it too much, instead focusing his efforts on medical ninjutsu, as well as a trained wind style attack regime. He was never lagging behind his two teammates.

And neither were you.

With a grunt, you lifted yourself from the ground and blatantly ignored the fatigue in your muscles. Quickly forming several hand styles, you placed your palm on the ground. The ground rumbled as you cried silently in your head.

Earth golem jutsu!

With a weary smile, you watched a giant erupt from the training ground. The earth giant groaned and moaned, despite your apparent beaming.

Just wait 'til they all see this.

  A/N: Yep, I just did that.