chapter nine | truth

ALEXIS MAXWELL

"Thank you, keep the change," I tell the girl standing behind the counter as I grab the two boxes of Chinese food for me and Andrew. I have another sports project and decided to just do basketball because it's hard to find someone else with a sport for this.

"Well, well, well. Look who needs my help." Andrew smirks at me as he opens the door to let me into his apartment. "What? Your dorm has a mini kitchen? This is so not fair. My dorm is a bed, desk, and a chair." I tell him.

"A lot of the dorms that I've been to here in this building have little miniature kitchens in them. You're missing out." He says with a chuckle at the end. I just roll my eyes at his antics and say "Anyway, we should start on my project."

"Yeah, so what is this project exactly?" He asks me, picking up the paper that has the grading rubric on it.

"There's three, sections to it. I have to pick three and do them. There's a video interview, written interview, or an interview in the form of an essay." I tell him, looking at the paper to see my options.

"Is it okay if I film you for the video interview?" I ask him. He says that would be okay so I take out the consent form so that he can sign it.

"I just need you to sign this consent form because our teacher is strict about how if we video someone they need to sign this form," I explain to him.

He put the paper on a notebook he was holding and then signed it before handing it back to me. "Okay, let me just pull up the questions, and then we can get started," I say, going to the google doc for the questions about basketball.

1. How long have you been playing?
2. What state are you from?
3. Do you need to be tall to play basketball?
4. Best game so far this year?
5. Worst game so far this year?
6. If it's your senior year are you going pro?
7. If it were your senior year in high school would you still play?

After setting up the tripod I'm filming on we sit across from each other on his bed.

"Alright, Mr. Davis have you signed the consent form before attending this interview?" I ask him in my professional voice.

"Yes, I have." He says, sounding a little bit confused. "Great, to start this interview about your basketball career I need to know how long have you been playing for, how old were you when you started?" I ask him, continuing with my professional voice.

"Of course, so this is my 14th season playing basketball, my first year was on a pee-wee team when I was only seven years old." He answers my question in a stern voice. "Talking about you, why don't you tell me a little bit about you, like where are you from and your family life," I request from him.

"Sure. I'm from right here in San Diego. I only live about 20 minutes away from campus. As a child I lived with my two parents, and my 6 brothers. They are all older and moved out right now." He says, talking about family like I asked him to.

"Thank you for that, now moving on to your actual basketball skills. Why don't you talk about some of your games this year? Tell me about your worst and beat game so far this year." I request from him.

"Of course. My personal best game was this year against Harvard. I made 38 shots and had 14 assists to someone else on the team. The entire team played excellent that day and it was a great day to be an Aztec.

One of the worst games so far this year was against Southern California state university. The team as a whole seemed pretty distracted that day and it just was pretty bad. I made 4 points which is my lowest record for a single game in years. We still won, but it was not a good team. The score was only 34-12 which is horrible for us." He talks about his games for so far this year.