chapter twelve | thanksgiving

ALEXIS MAXWELL

I wake up to Andrew softly shaking me awake. I yawn and then roll over and close my eyes again. I'm not exactly a morning person.

"Nope, that's not happening," Andrew says putting a hand on my back and his other hand on my hip and rolling me back over to where I originally was.

"I know you don't want to get up but it's already eleven," Andrew says softly. I just groan and sit up, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.

I swing my legs over the side of my bed and put my hands together and push out, stretching my arms.

"So how exactly does today work?" I ask Andrew. "What do you mean?" He questions me.

"What are we doing all day today?" I ask him, wondering how I have to dress for now.

"My mom already told me what the plan for today is. We are going to have everyone head down to the party room and play a game, and then we will have lunch. Everyone is in charge of one dish. So we come back and do that and chill out until dinner which we have to set up a little bit before." Andrew explains today's game plan to me.

"What should I wear to go down there now?" I ask him, wondering if it should be nice or a chill outfit.

"Nothing nice or fancy. The kids are probably going to be wearing pajamas. You can wear leggings or sweatpants with a hoodie." Andrew tells me.

"Alright, I'll be out in a few minutes," I tell Andrew, grabbing my clothes and walking into the bathroom to get ready for the day. I put on a pair of cropped leggings with a black crop top and an NYC hoodie over it. For makeup, I just put on some mascara and powder.

Walking out of the bathroom I see Andrew already dressed in a pair of light gray sweatpants and a navy blue hoodie that says 'sdsu basketball."

"Hey, are you ready to go?" He asks me. "Just one minute," I say grabbing a hair tie and walking back into the bathroom.

I put my hair in a night ponytail and put on a light squirt of hairspray and walked out into the hotel room Andrew nodded at the door.

"You are ready to go?" He asks me. "Yeah, let's hit the road," I tell him.

"We're waking like 400 feet, but okay." He teases me. We head down to the party room which is on the bottom floor of the hotel.

"Finally, what took so long Andrew?" His mom asks him with a raised eyebrow.

"We're here now, and it's only been like 10 minutes." He rolls his eyes at his mom. She just slaps his arm and he rubs it. "Jesus, mother stop slapping me!" He exclaims. It's kind of funny to see him like this with his mom.

I see a giant whiteboard with a long list of food on it. I look at Andrew, confused about what this board is and he says "Everyone signs up to make one of the things on it and the board is so that it just so much more organized." He explains to me.

"Cool. The only problem is that I'm not exactly the best cook." I say.

"It's fine, I'm good at cooking anyway so I can help you. Take something easy like mixed vegetables or corn casserole." He tells me as we walk up to the board to write what we are going to bring.

I put my name for the corn casserole and Andrew put his name for a pecan pie.

After we do that we just sit at the giant table where a bunch of other people that already written their names were sitting.

"I feel like if this was my family It would've taken me u til I was like ten to learn every bodies name," I admit to Andrew. He just chuckles at my confession.