chapter sixteen | ultrasound

ANDREW DAVIS

"Okay, I'm just going to rub this gel over your lower stomach and it will be a little chilly just so you know." The nurse tells Alexis who just nods and pulls up the shirt that she is wearing.

The nurse has a small tube and squeezes some out onto her hands and rubs it together before rubbing it all over Alexis' lower stomach.

"Aright, now that is on I am just going to press this wand down over your lower stomach for a few minutes so I can get a screening of your uterus and your ovaries." The nurse tells Alexis what she is doing.

Alexis is just laying there looking up at the ceiling while the nurse is doing the ultrasound. "Alright, that should do it. The doctor will be in your room within a few minutes with your results.

"Okay thank you." Alexis thanks the nurse and we both walk out of that room and head up to the hospital room that she was assigned to.

About twenty-five minutes later the doctor comes strolling right into her room with a clipboard that I would assume has all of Alexis notes from today on it.

"Hello, Alexis. Front the bloodwork I found that you have a little bit of a high level of insulin. Nothing to worry about at all. That could be because when a cyst erupts it messes with a few things but a follow-up is not needed for that. Everything else was perfect from your bloodwork.

Now from your ultrasound, we found out that you did have a cyst erupt as I mentioned. This is something that is a little thing to worry about. Through the tests, you most likely do have polycystic ovaries syndrome. This is not something that can be tested for sure though." The doctor explains to Alexis who nods as he keeps talking.

"The things that come with what you have can include losing fertility in the further, cysts on your uterus and ovaries, and some other minor symptoms. There is, unfortunately, no cure for this and it is something that you are going to have forever. Most of the time you will not even think about having it. I want to get you on birth control so that it can regulate your periods and that will help this a little bit. After I do that I will bring you your papers so that you can sign yourself out." The doctor explains to her and I am now noticing how truly exhausted Alexis is.

A nurse brings the papers that Alexis needs to sign to be able to leave. I see her scribble down her signature and hand it back to the nurse.

"Okay, sweetie, you are now free to go. Follow the arrow and go out the door on the right. Have a nice day and I hope you feel better." The nurse says and then walks out of the room Alexis was placed in.

"I'm glad that is over," Alexis says with a sigh. I place my arm around her back in a comforting way as we make our way out of the room and to the waiting area to get my mom. I have been texting her updates so she knew how long it would be until we were out.

ALEXIS MAXWELL

"How are you doing honey?" Andrew's mom, Skylar asks me. I honestly feel pretty much fine now. I'm not back to one-hundred percent but I have a mere stomachache now. "I'm feeling so much better now. Thank you both for bringing me here." I thank them knowing that even though I didn't necessarily have to come to the hospital that it was probably for the best.

"Of course. Ready to go?" She asks looking back and forth between the two of us. I just nod while Andrew replies with "Yeah."

"I am just going to drop you off at home so that we can get back to campus for classes tomorrow," Andrew tells his mom. Don't remind me that it's already Sunday.

We soon pull into the very long driveway of Skylar and Alejandro's house. I love their house so much it's beautiful.

"So what are you planning to do tomorrow?" Andrew asks me once we're back on the drive to our dorms. "I have classes most of the day. I don't finish all of them until late. After that Ariana and Amelia and I are going to do something. I'm not sure what we are doing yet though." I explain to him, knowing that he probably wanted to hang out or do something tomorrow.