chapter eighteen | flying

ALEXIS MAXWELL

It's now Friday night. I finished my classes a while ago and am now about to board a plane to New York. Like I had discussed with Andrew I am going to go back to New York for tonight and tomorrow and I will be back in California tomorrow at some point.

We have already talked about it and he said that he'll pick me up from the airport and then from the airport we will go back to his parent's house.

I am still not the biggest fan of going to his family's house for Christmas but I get along with all of his family so hopefully everyone that is there won't mind my presence.

"Last call for anyone boarding flight nine-hundred-and-sixteen, anyone boarding flight nine-hundred-and-sixteen please make your way to gate forty-two." The typical airport announcer says.

I grab my small bag and make my way to gate number forty-two. Walking through the gate I walk through the metal detector and once I'm clear I make my way outside to the plane. I step up and keep walking until I get to my seat 'fourteen A.' I'm sitting on the aisle seat because of my claustrophobia.

I was pretty early to board is there are a lot of people coming on after I did. As the other two people in my row get in I stand up for them.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the captain has turned on the fasten seatbelt sign. If you haven't already done so, please stow your carry-on luggage in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you. Please take your seatbelt and fasten it. Also, please make sure that your seats and food trays are all of the way up.

If you are seated next to an emergency exit please read the special instructions card located by your seat. If you do not wish to perform these during the event of an emergency exit please ask a flight attendant to reseat you.

We would like to remind you that this is a non-smoking flight Smoking is prohibited on the entire aircraft, including the laboratories. Tampering with, disabling, or destroying supplied smoke detectors is prohibited by law.

If you have any questions about your flight today, please don't hesitate to ask one of your flight attendants. Thank you and enjoy your flight."

Once the flight attendant finishes her typical speech that they make before take-off it's about twenty-five minutes until we leave the ground.

I pull a book out of my bag. I'm currently rereading 'a fault in our stars. I get to about chapter seventeen when I decided to take a short nap.

I feel myself being shaken awake and forget where I am for a minute. I look at who was shaking me awake and see an older woman sitting next to me.

"We're about to leave the plane, dear." She says and I give her a soft smile and say "thank you." I grab my small suitcase from the overhead bin and start pushing it in front of me as we exit the plane.

Almost as soon as I step off of the plane I then text one of my step-brothers, the one that I am staying with, Daniel.

Alexis: Hey, I just landed. Let me know when you get here.

Daniel: I'm already here, are you by the doors to come out?

Alexis: Yeah, I'll find your car. About where are you parked?

Daniel: I am in lot 28. I'll look for you.

I spot Daniels's car almost right away and walk over to it. I walk over and see him getting out of the car.