chapter forteen | forgot

ALEXIS MAXWELL

Laying in my bed this morning was not on my planned list of things to do today.

A few days ago on our date was one of the best days of my life. After our date, we came back to the hotel room. He couldn't exactly kiss me goodnight, but I was fine with that because I didn't want to end up doing something else with him yet.

December second is my dad's birthday. My dad, who died and I was being too selfish to even remember the day my father was born.

It's still only like nine in the morning and I think I was seriously thinking about catching a plane and heading back to New York to visit his grave today.

I didn't do that of course but at the same time, I can't just sit here with a bunch of people who are mostly strangers to me on his birthday.

Deciding what I do I leave a note so that when Andrew wakes up and sees that I'm not there he doesn't get too concerned.

I put on a plain old pair of ripped jeans with white converse with a hoodie that Ariana had packed for me in my bag.

I grab everything that I am going to need for the next hour or so. It is not a lot of stuff just my phone, keys, and my wallet. Luckily there is a target within a walking distance so I head over there first and getawakee your own lantern set.

My dad and I used to do these things every year on my birthday. It was kind of something without my step-family and just something for the two of us to do alone together.

I put together the lantern and pull out one of the matches that I got before letting it fly off into the air.

This is not exactly a wish but I'm asking for whoever is up there to please let my dad arrive safely to where he truly does belong. He is the best father a girl can ask for and truly has earned to be treated like a god, where ever he is.

I open my eyes and look up to see the lantern almost out of sight.

I decide that it is now probably a good idea to start heading back to the hotel room since Andrew will probably be waking up soon.

Clicking the door shut I head over to the miniature kitchen that we are sharing so that I can get something to eat for breakfast. I full out the large bowl of fruit salad and using the scoop I put some in the smaller paper bowl.

Heading over to the couch I pull out my laptop and respond to some of the emails that I have from different classes and teachers.

Responding to whatever needs to be answered to I finally finish that as I hear Andrew wake up. "Hey, what are you doing up so early?" I tease him as he rolls out of bed.

"It's not even early." He says grumpily with a roll of his eyes. "Exactly my point," I say flatly.

"I need to go and workout. I'm losing my muscles." He says looking down at his arm and flexing. "Yeah," I say in the most sarcastic voice I can manage.

"Want to go to the gym with me?" He asks me while pulling out clothes from his suitcase and walking over to the bathroom. "Not really, but I guess so," I say the only reason I didn't want to is that I have already showered today and I hate washing my hair two times in twenty-four hours.

"So where were you all of this morning? Don't lie to me either because when I woke up you were gone." Andrew asks me. I'm just surprised that he was up that early in the morning.

"Today is my dad's birthday-" I start and take a deep breath. "I didn't even remember it until I woke up this morning. It killed me knowing that though I love him with all my heart I almost forgot. So I did a little something that he and I used to do." I vaguely explain to Andrew.