chapter nineteen | christmas

ANDREW DAVIS

A few days have come and gone since the day that I had to pick up Alexis from the airport. It is now December twenty-fifth, Christmas Eve.

I love seeing that Alexis is truly happy being here with my parents, and I'm happy that she did decide to come over. Speak of the devil and she shall appear.

"Hey, babe!" She says and she comes into my room. "I've been waiting for like ever, so can you open your gift now?" She asks me. I'm not sure if I should be scared that she wants me to open my gift now.

"I guess so. Do you also want to open yours?" I ask her, pulling out the small bag from my nightstand.

She hands me a basketball that has almost all of the signatures of the golden state warriors, my favorite basketball team. "This is so amazing, thank you so much, sweetheart," I tell her while pulling her into my lap and hugging her.

"Okay, it's not much but I am really bad at gifts, anyway I hope you like it," I tell her while handing her the really small gift bag.

She takes out the tissue paper and puts it next to her on my bed. She pulls out the necklace and opens the locket. She pulls me into a tight hug and kisses me on my cheek.

"I take it you like it?" I ask her and she nods very enthusiastically. It's a locket necklace with a tiny picture of her dad, her mom, and her in it. I got her step-brothers phone number from her phone one day and he sent the picture to me.

"Thank you, Andrew. This was so thoughtful and I love it so much." She says I can tell that she likes it and that makes me glad.

"I'm glad you love it, baby. Now, do you want to go get something to eat for breakfast?" I ask her and she nods at me.

"Hey, kids. There is coffee, eggs, toast, and pancakes on the table in the dining room. If there's not enough left I can make more. But, since you two took forever in coming downstairs it might be cold. Just bring it in here if it is." My mom tells us.

I'm not surprised that everyone almost ate all of the food. They are a bunch of animals when it comes to food.

Alexis and I walk into the dining room and sit down. I grab a plate and a mug to get some food. Alexis just grabbed a mug and put some coffee in it.

We both walked back to the kitchen and I put my plate of food in the oven to heat up again and I put both of our cups of coffee in the microwave so that it can heat up again.

A few minutes later by food is done so I grab it. "Why aren't you having anything to eat?" I ask Alexis, figuring she would want something.

"Sometimes I'm just not hungry in the morning like today I'm not since I slept in." She tells me with a shrug.

Standing around the Christmas tree I hear a small click. "Okay, that should be good," Alexis says while she steps away from the camera.

Every year my mom makes us take Christmas-themed pictures on Christmas Eve to use for the next year's Christmas cards. Alexis volunteered to take the pictures because that was originally what she wanted to do so she has taken a ton of classes for it.

"Thank you, honey, these look great. You did amazing." My mom tells Alexis as she starts to look through some of the photos.

"Thank you, Skylar. It means a lot. I'm going to go change for the day if you will excuse me." Alexis excuses herself from the conversation and heads upstairs to my room. Well, our shared room I suppose.

"Lesley invited me to go shopping for a few hours today, would you mind if I went?" Alexis asks me as she grabs a black dress from her packed bag. "Of course not, you are not a hostage you know." I joke with her, getting her to crack a smile.