Chapter 15

Allô! This is essentially a double chapter in terms of length... There wasn't any ideal spot to separate it so I left it being twice as long as what my chapters usually are.

--------------------------

Hungry and fed up with waiting, Iris passed each male two cans. She gave them what was left of the clam chowder, saving the beef stew for herself. As much as she used to love clam chowder, the canned stuff was seriously in need of spicing. It was way too bland.

Being the caring host, she gave the males some well used spoons that she had been too lazy to clean yet. Not that they seemed to be familiar with their usage anyway.

After a quick demonstration of how to use a spoon, everyone was settled. It was time for questions. AKA their agreed time for discussion.

"So how about we exchange question for question? I ask you one and then you ask me one?" Iris started while she quizzically watched the male's fiddle with the spoons. They looked like toddlers trying to feed themselves for the first time.

Tawn, too busy with his food, seemed to have missed the question. It was the first time a female had served him, and it was definitely something he could get used to. Females in the beast continent did not take care of feeding her males, let alone males she wasn't mated to. Not to mention that the stuff from out of that 'can' tasted amazing. He'd quickly given up on the traditional usage of the spoon and had instead opted to use it as a shovel while he tilted the can's contents into his mouth. It was much faster.

Having finally regained his wits, Ink noticed Tawn's lack of response and grunted in agreement.

Finally registering the conversation happening around him, Tawn interjected, "I'll ask the first question." He took Iris's and Ink's silence as approval to begin. "Where did you get this food from?" He asked while motioning to the now empty can in his hands, clearly food orientated.

"Uh they were part of a delivery I was doing..." Iris was unsure how to reply. "Usually, you can buy them in stores."

"Never seen anything like this up for trade." Ink interjected. "Now that Tawn's wasted the first question, next one is yours, female." He thought it odd that a female would do a delivery, but a lot was off about this female in particular.

Iris sat back, savoring a spoonful of her beef stew while she thought about what she wanted to ask them. She would like to know where she was and how to get to the closest city. Though, looking at the duo before her, she doubted the credibility of their answer in regard to such a question.

Irritated, Ink exclaimed, "Female, will you ask your question or not?"

"My name is Iris, and yes, I do plan to ask my questions. Especially seeing that I now have two to ask." She smirked devilishly at the now scowling Ink.

Settling on a good opening question, "Why did you come to my camp site?" Iris asked.

"We smelt a female's scent on a tanning hide, without any accompanying males. So, we came to investigate." Tawn answered simply. By then he'd already finished both his cans of soup and was eyeing Ink's with keen interest.

Nodding in acknowledgment, she thought it was about time to ask them something that had bothered her. "What did you mean when you said that I was yours? It's an awfully strange thing to say to someone who you've only just met. Not to mention just fought with." She wanted to avoid the usage of the word 'rude' as both seemed to bristle when it was used.

Without thinking Tawn asked, "Why would you ask that? Isn't it obvious?"

"Quit asking useless questions." Ink hissed out in clear annoyance. Turning back to Iris, "Don't answer those, they don't count." He sounded much like a petulant child.