Chapter 19

Allô! Sorry the chapter was so late. It's mid-end semester right now and things are bit nuts. I post status updates on my wall when delays like this are happening. Feel free to follow me so you aren't left hanging if ever this sorta thing happens again (it probably will).

Otherwise, enjoy :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The males were apparently going to take forever to wash up.

It was dark and had been for quite some time. Iris had finished her meal and had then chopper some extra wood for the fire while waiting. She stopped once she was sure they had a stack that would last the night. So, at that moment, she had been sitting around waiting for them to come back. She didn't quite feel comfortable sleeping out in the open alone. Especially since she was not familiar with her surroundings. Heck, even just sitting alone was putting her on edge. It was as if she'd forgotten how to be alone after less than a day of having company after at least two months of solitude.

Hence, instead of feeling like a sitting duck, she had her dagger, bow and arrows with her. All were within easy grasping distance. They made her feel stronger and safer even though they were really just tools.

Hearing a slight rustle off to her left, she whipped around. An arrow already notched and at the ready, she took aim at the direction the noise had come from. She drew the sting back and held, ready to release.

Out sauntered Tawn followed by a partially shifted Ink. Both looked refreshed, too refreshed.

With a huff, she lowered her weapon and relaxed the tension on the bow.

Chuckling at her reaction, Ink turned to Tawn, "Looks like even a level one can hear you approaching... tsk tsk tsk." The male teased while accentuating his s's with hisses.

With a pout, Tawn slumped onto the ground next to Iris. "I wasn't trying to be silent..." He muttered in response.

Iris silently raised an eyebrow as she watched the two playfully banter. She refrained from commenting on the new small bruises that conspicuously littered the males' necks and chests. They could be passed off as the effect of the fire's glow if she convinced herself hard enough. Not that she particularly cared what their relationship was, she'd already seen them kissing. So, no surprises there.

Slumping back, she began removing her shoes. Now that her company was back, she had no need to be ready to jump up and run. Thinking of running, her feet ached in protest. She'd be sore come morning.

Tuckered out from the jogging, she planned to knock out for the night. "One of you will have to point me in the direction of the river in the morning." She stated, interrupting the males in their conversation that she'd stopped paying attention to. "Since you both took your jolly time to enjoy yourselves..." She all but whispered the last part under her breath.

"Why not now?" Tawn questioned.

"Can't see too well in the dark." She replied simply.

Stroking his chin, "So you kept some common female traits even though you received a level..." Ink commented before asking, "Do you find that your vision at night has improved somewhat?"

Iris answered with a slight nod. She didn't feel like talking much, sleep was beckoning to her. Her eyelids were already starting to droop.

"We'll show you to the river tomorrow." Ink spoke, his eyes staring off into space, seemingly already deep in thought.