Chapter 20

"Ok, we'll hang back here and wait for you to return." Ink said as he slowed to a stop, clearly referring to Tawn as he spoke. He dropped the baggage he'd been carrying and began pulling out a few empty water bottles and cans.

"Wh- what do... you me-mean?" Iris asked between gasps as she tried to both slow her thundering heart rate and pull air into her burning lungs. "I thought... we w-were going to a... tribe?" Talking while trying to catch her breath was far from ideal.

Ink looked back at her as he handed the empty items over to Tawn. "I can't go because I'm a feral breed, so I'd get attacked on sight unless if I'm mated. You can't go until you change your coverings and cover your level mark."

Huffing, Iris removed her bow and arrows from her back, dropping them at her feet. She liked to keep them close at all times and had gotten into the habit of always carrying them on her person. Though, she reconned that her makeshift quiver of worn, torn up clothes tied together could use some work.

Tired, she plopped down at the base of a tree and leaned back onto the rough bark. At least she'd be able to rest her sore muscles while they waited for Tawn's return. She felt like she could barely move, and, in all honesty, it had been tough to keep up with the males that day. However, she refused to allow them to carry her. She pulled her shoes off of her feet, allowing them and her toes to air out.

A firm hand pressed down onto her shoulder making her look up. Amber eyes met with black ones as Iris looked up at Tawn. His other arm held the items Ink had picked out to be exchanged wrapped in Iris's poor attempt at a tanned hide.

The large, naked man smiled amicably, his black eyes twinkling as he said, "Don't worry, I'll be back soon and then I can show you around the tribe a bit." Having said that, he turned and nodded at Ink who was already up in a tree basking in the sun before heading off into the forest.

Iris absentmindedly watched his retreating form, particularly his sculpted rear. It was tight with muscles that flexed with his every step. Who knew an ass could be chiseled? His waist was thin and his shoulders wide. He even had that groove running down the length of his spine due to bulging muscles. He was by no means unattractive, physically that is.

Catching Iris eyeing the direction Tawn had left in, Ink taunted, "You seem about ready to mate."

Although Iris could hear the smirk in his voice taunting her, she notched an arrow, aimed at the spot next to Ink's face and released.

Knowing that she wasn't targeting him, Ink didn't even flinch when the sharpened piece of wood whizzed passed his face and lodged itself into a tree with a 'thunk.' His blue-white strands of hair swayed slightly after the arrow passed.

Iris glared at Ink as he smugly watched her, rather pleased to have received a reaction.

Huffing, she adverted her gaze and leaned back. The weather was nice, and she might as well take a nap while she waited.

--

Iris jolted awake when something was dropped onto her lap. Startled, her eyes quickly scanned the area as she instinctually reached for her knife. Her eyes quickly landed on Tawn, and she relaxed.

"Common! Get changed and I'll show you around the tribe!" Tawn cheered from a few passes away. He'd likely thrown whatever was in her lap from where he currently stood.

Looking down, Iris saw folded furs. Based on what Ink had told Tawn to buy, she assumed them to be new clothes. She gathered the new garments and her knife into her arms and stood to go get changed.

She walked a short distance away from the males so that she'd be mostly out of sight before stripping off her well-worn clothes – or what was left of them for that matter. Once nude, she unfolded her new clothes and held them up to figure out how it was supposed to be put on. At least it didn't seems as complex as women's fashion from her world.

What Tawn had given her seemed to be a thin hide that had been cut into a square with a hole at the center. Then, folded in half into a rectangle and tacked.

Assuming the hole in the center was for her head, she slipped the attire on. After a bit of confusion, she realized that her arms were supposed to go between the fold and the first tack. She felt like she was wearing a potato sack with extra flaps on the sides.

Thankfully, because it didn't show much skin around her neck or chest, she would be able to keep her bra on without anyone seeing the material beneath the hide. She was happy about not having to go bra-less, not that running without one would hurt her – she didn't have much in that department to begin with. She just didn't want the leather in direct contact with the sensitive nubs on her breasts.

Turning her attention back to the now much smaller stack of gear Tawn had tossed at her, she noticed two long, wide strips of leather. One was probably to be used as a belt she noted as she played with the holes near her waste on the makeshift dress. The other, she wasn't too sure... Maybe a headband? Ink had mentioned waning to cover her level mark. Either way, her hair had been getting a tad long as of late and she'd been itching to get it out of her face. A headband would certainly work for keeping the stray strands from poking her eyes.

She passed the belt trough the holes and tied it around her waist. It wasn't the most appealing outfit but at least it wouldn't impede her movements. She also wouldn't have to worry about accidentally flashing anyone as the dress fell to just above her knees, but just in case, she chose to keep her underwear.

It amazed her how the hair on her legs didn't bother her even though she was wearing a dress where anyone would be able to see they was unshaven. Just four months ago she would have likely refused to wear the dress simple because she hadn't shaved, instead insisting on pants. It felt good to accept herself as she was naturally and feel comfortable in her own skin.

Facinated by how social norms had affected her life, she picked up everything that she'd placed on the ground and headed back to where the males waited.

Finally, she would get to see what living in this new world was like.

~~~~~~~~~

As always, thank you for reading! If you enjoyed my work, please support me by tapping that little star.

To those who have been giving stars, thank you so much! Your support means a lot to me and is very encouraging.

Nov. 15, 2021